Red Hat OpenStack Application and VNF Workflow Guide
For Use with Red Hat OpenStack 16
Chapter 1. Introduction
Red Hat OpenStack Application Workflow Guide describes the process of creating Red Hat OpenStack Platform (RHOSP) application certification. The RHOSP application facilitate an OpenStack deployment or complement the Cloud Infrastructure with additional functionalities such as configuration, scaling, and management.
This document provides a review of the RHOSP certification workflow for Partners who want to offer their own applications, management applications or Virtualized Network Function (VNF) software for use with RHOSP in a jointly supported customer environment.
Before starting the certification process, we recommend you to read the Red Hat OpenStack Application Policy and VNF Guide to understand the requirements and policies for Red Hat OpenStack Application.
1.2. Program Prerequisites
Partners are expected to meet the following program prerequisites before proceeding with the RHOSP application certification workflow:
- To certify OpenStack applications, it is mandatory to have a Vendor Single Sign On (SSO) account and profile.
- Partners are expected to have a Product profile on Red Hat Connect for Technology Partners.
- Partners must complete the Align, Build and Certify (ABC) Workflow on Red Hat Connect for Technology Partners before beginning the certification process.
If you have questions on vendor account/profile, product profile or software entitlements, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.3. Getting Help and Giving Feedback
If you experience difficulty with a procedure described in this documentation, Open a Support Case in the Red Hat customer portal.
The Red Hat customer portal offers the following services and information:
- Search or browse through technical support articles and solutions pertaining to Red Hat products
- Submit a support case to Red Hat Global Support Services (GSS), and
- Access product documentation
Personal emails are not tracked as a support mechanism and do not include a Response Time or Service Level Agreement.
Questions During Certification
During the certification process, you may need to ask or reply to a question about topics which affect a specific certification. These questions and responses are recorded in the Additional Comments section of the Dialog Tab of the certification entry.
It is not within the scope of the certification workflow to resolve product defect and/or compatibility issues identified during testing. These issues can block a certification and might require resolution before the certification can proceed. Resolving these issues should be accomplish through your Engineering Partner Manager or other engineering engagements.
We Need Feedback!
If you see a way to make this guide better, or if you think of a way to improve the certification workflow, or program, we would love to hear from you! Submit a bug in Bugzilla. Try to be as specific as possible; include the section number and some of the surrounding text.
Chapter 2. RHOSP Application Process
The certification process through a series of tests validate the environment that applications rely on RHOSP services or APIs. The following workflow illustrates a RHOSP Application Process that a Partner needs to follow:
Figure 2.1. RHOSP Application Workflow
Chapter 3. RHOSP Pre-Testing
Before creating a RHOSP application certification, Partners are encouraged to successfully execute the following on the overcloud compute node where the application is installed as a leading certification indicator:
Chapter 4. Creating a RHOSP Application Certification
Following are the steps to create a RHOSP application certification from the Red Hat certification web user interface(UI):
- In your test server, launch Red Hat Certification web UI in a browser using the http://<machine-IP> link.
- Provide your Red Hat account credentials enabled for certification in the Username and Password fields. Click Login.
- Click the New Certification button.
- From the Product drop-down list, select Red Hat OpenStack Platform. The Version and Platform value gets generated automatically. However, you can select the version, platform and RHEL version fields according to your requirement. Click Next.
- Select the Vendor and Make items from the drop-down list. Click Next.
Provide the following relevant information in the fields:
In the Component field, select the component that you want to include for certification. The Install Guide field is a mandatory field.Important
The Director Integration guide can be a text, URL, or a file.
- In the Director Integration field, choose Yes or No.
- If the Director Integration is selected as Yes, select the type of Director Template, and provide the details in the Director Instructions field.
In case of VNF application select certification-vnf-component from the drop down list. Below steps are VNF certification specific only.
- Choose the operating system from the given options. If your operating system is not in the given option, choose the option Other and type the name of the operating system in the required text field.
Click the Choose File to upload the Testing Configuration Report. An alert will notify once the report gets uploaded successfully. Click Create.Important
See, section 4.4 VNF Testing Configuration Report in Red Hat OpenStack Application Policy Guide for the configuration information that is required in the VNF test report. Optionally, you can also upload the the Testing Configuration Report from the Product Details tab once the RHOSP application certification test plan is created.
The RHOSP test plan is created for the certification testing.
- In the Certification section the Progress tab displays the tests that has to be executed to generate the RHOSP application certification.
The following screenshot illustrates a certification test plan for VNF:
Figure 4.1. VNF Test Plan
Chapter 5. Publishing a RHOSP Application Certification
RHOSP application certification is generated after the required tests are successfully executed and the testing configuration report is reviewed by a Subject Matter Expert (SME). In case if an SME does not find the testing configuration report according to the requirement, a follow up will be initiated from SME with the Partner. The certificate is marked as Certified or Vendor Validated only when the SME verifies the testing configuration report.
Chapter 6. Recertification Workflow
To recertify a RHOSP application, complete the following steps:
- See, section Chapter 4, Creating a RHOSP Application Certification of this guide, and create a new certification request . It is mandatory to create a new certification request for recertification.
- Run the certification tests and proceed with the rest of the workflow as documented.