Chapter 1. Architecture of OpenShift Data Science
Red Hat OpenShift Data Science is a fully Red Hat managed cloud service that is available as an Add-on to Red Hat OpenShift Dedicated and Red Hat OpenShift Service on Amazon Web Services (ROSA).
OpenShift Data Science integrates the following components and services:
At the service layer:
- OpenShift Data Science dashboard
- A customer-facing dashboard that shows available and installed applications for the OpenShift Data Science environment as well as learning resources such as tutorials, quick start examples, and documentation.
- JupyterHub (Red Hat managed)
- A Red Hat managed application that allows data scientists to configure their own notebook server environment and develop machine learning models in JupyterLab.
At the management layer:
- The Red Hat OpenShift Data Science operator
- A meta-operator that deploys and maintains all components and sub-operators that are part of OpenShift Data Science.
- Monitoring services
- Alertmanager, Prometheus and Grafana work together to gather metrics from OpenShift Data Science and organise and display those metrics in useful ways for monitoring and billing purposes.
At the data layer:
- JupyterHub database
- A database that stores all user data for JupyterHub.
When you install the OpenShift Data Science Add-on in the Cluster Manager, the following new projects are created:
redhat-ods-operatorproject contains the OpenShift Data Science operator.
redhat-ods-applicationsproject installs the dashboard and other required components of OpenShift Data Science.
redhat-ods-monitoringproject contains services for monitoring and billing.
rhods-notebooksproject is where notebook environments are deployed by default.
You or your data scientists must create additional projects for the OpenShift applications that will use your machine learning models.
Do not install independent software vendor (ISV) applications in namespaces associated with OpenShift Data Science Add-ons unless you are specifically directed to do so on the application’s card on the dashboard.