Chapter 1. Introduction to Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage
Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage is software-defined storage that is optimised for container environments. It runs as an operator on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform to provide highly integrated and simplified persistent storage management for containers.
Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage supports a variety of storage types, including:
- Block storage for databases
- Shared file storage for continuous integration, messaging, and data aggregation
- Object storage for archival, backup, and media storage
Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage version 4.2 onwards uses:
- Red Hat Ceph Storage to provide the file, block, and object storage that backs persistent volumes
- Rook.io to manage and orchestrate provisioning of persistent volumes and claims.
- NooBaa provides object storage, and its Multicloud Object Gateway enables data federation across multiple cloud environments. NooBaa’s enterprise version is named Red Hat Multicloud Object Gateway.