Chapter 1. Introduction to Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage 4.2
Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage is software-defined storage that is optimised for container environments. It runs as an operator on OpenShift Container Platform to provide highly integrated and simplified persistent storage management for containers.
OpenShift Container Storage supports a variety of storage types, including:
- Block storage for databases
- Shared file storage for continuous integration, messaging, and data aggregation
- Object storage for archival, backup, and media storage
Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage version 4.2 onwards uses:
- Red Hat Ceph Storage to provide the file, block, and object storage that backs persistent volumes
- Rook.io to manage and orchestrate provisioning of persistent volumes and claims.
- NooBaa provides object storage, and its Multicloud Object Gateway enables data federation across multiple cloud environments. NooBaa’s enterprise version is named Red Hat Multicloud Object Gateway.
Technology Preview features provide early access to upcoming product innovations, enabling you to test functionality and provide feedback during the development process. However, these features are not fully supported under Red Hat Subscription Level Agreements, may not be functionally complete, and are not intended for production use. As Red Hat considers making future iterations of Technology Preview features generally available, we will attempt to resolve any issues that customers experience when using these features.
See Technology Preview Features Support Scope for more information.