1.2. System Overview
- Satellite functions using two database types:
- Stand-Alone Database — An organization's existing database or, preferably, a separate machine. Satellite supports Oracle Database 11g Release 2, Standard or Enterprise Edition for the stand-alone database.
- Embedded Database — The database comes bundled with Satellite and is installed on the same machine as the Satellite during the installation process. The included database is Oracle Database 10g Release 2.
- Satellite Core
- The core system and entry point for Red Hat Update Agent running on client systems. Satellite also includes an Apache HTTP Server, which serves XML-RPC requests.
- Satellite Web Interface
- A user interface for advanced system, system group, user, and channel management. The organization configures access to the Satellite web interface from the local area network only or from both the local area network and the Internet. The Satellite's version of the Red Hat Network website allows full control over client systems, system groups, and users.
- RPM Repository
- Package repository for Red Hat RPM packages and custom RPM packages identified by the organization.
- Management Tools
- The Satellite Management Tools are used to synchronize the Satellite database and package repository with Red Hat Network. Satellite also includes management tools for:
- Database and file system synchronization;
- Custom RPM and repository imports;
- Channel maintenance (Web-based);
- Errata management (Web-based);
- User management (Web-based); and
- Client system and system grouping (Web-based).
- Red Hat Update Agent
- Reconfigure Red Hat Update Agent on client systems to retrieve updates from the organization's internal Satellite instead of the central Red Hat Network Servers. After this one-time reconfiguration, client systems retrieve updates locally using the Red Hat Update Agent. System administrators also schedule actions through the Satellite Web Interface.
ImportantRed Hat strongly recommends that clients connected to Satellite be running the latest update of Red Hat Enterprise Linux to ensure proper connectivity.
Figure 1.1. Using Satellite and Red Hat Network Proxy Server Together