Major features, changes, enhancements, corrections, API information and known issues in Red Hat Network Satellite 5.5
Chapter 1. Major Features
- IPv6 enablement
- RHN Satellite, RHN Proxy and RHN Client/Tools all work within an IPv6 environment.
ImportantRestrictions: Satellite still needs IPv4 for external communications to RHN Hosted/Classic in order for
satellite-syncto download content. The following are not supported in IPv6:
Older Red Hat Enterprise Linux anaconda installers do not provision/install over IPv6. Please review the Red Hat Enterprise Linux release notes for instances where the anaconda installation over IPv6 worked.
- PXE Provisioning
- Solaris Clients
- OpenSCAP support
- RHN Satellite now provides security audit state (Security Content Automation Protocol or SCAP) reports of Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems running inside the Satellite environment. Includes client support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.8 and above as well as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 and above.
Chapter 2. Major Changes
- i386 Architecture Support
- Red Hat Network Satellite and Proxy 5.5 will continue to provide support for x86 (64-bit) machines and s390x architectures. Satellite and Proxy will no longer support the i386 (32-bit) architecture.Red Hat Network Satellite and Proxy 5.4 will provide support for i386 (32-bit) machines up to March 31, 2017 as set out by the RHN Satellite and Proxy Server Life Cycle.
Chapter 3. Enhancements
- Allows customers to create and maintain custom-cloned Red Hat Enterprise Linux channels based on the date that content (Errata) was made available from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux channel. With RHN Satellite 5.5,
spacewalk-clone-by-datewas enhanced to allow a user to clone security errata only.
- Provisioning over bonded network interfaces
- RHN Satellite will now support the ability to define bonded network interfaces for new Satellite installations, as well as reprovisioning Red Hat Enterprise Linux Systems.For new installations, setting up bonded networking in a kickstart profile can be done via WebUI, regardless of whether this has been set up on the system prior to the Satellite installation.
- API Additions
- The following are API additions of note in this release:
- Database maintenance tool
- Allows administrators to change the embedded database password.
- Configuration File Changes
- Configuration files within
/etc/rhn/defaulthave been moved to
/usr/share/rhn/config-defaults. To edit any configuration settings, use
/etc/rhn/rhn.conf. Changes made to
/etc/rhn/rhn.confwill override the values in the defaults set in
Chapter 4. Major Corrections
- In a Satellite update installation, the install.pl script did not keep the proxy settings in
/etc/rhn/rhn.conf. This was resolved in the Satellite upgrade installation by including instructions to create an answer file containing the correct proxy settings and using the answer file in the Satellite upgrade.
- Authentication tokens were not being handled correctly in a multi-tiered RHN Proxy Server configuration. The code which regenerates the authentication token depended on the
X-RHN-Proxy-Auth-Errorheader in the html reply for every method. This has been fixed and auth information is now being correctly passed between RHN Proxy Servers in a multi-tiered configuration.
- Only errata containing the latest upgradeable package were being offered for system update which, in a situation where the package has an older security erratum and a newer non-critical erratum, only the non-critical one was offered to a system to upgrade. This fix now offers all errata to a system for upgrade. All security errata will be visible to a system.
- Previously, the java heapdump directory for
/usr/sbinwhich caused the directory to fill up quickly. The java heapdump directory now defaults to
- Duplicate entries in the Satellite database, specifically the rhnCPU table caused internal server errors. A fix to ensure all rows are unique before the unique index is created has been implemented. No duplicate entries should appear in the Satellite database.
- When running numerous monitoring probes with large tables, RHN probes result in a deadlock error message (ORA-00060).
- When deleting a child channel, related rows in the database were not automatically being deleted along with the child channel. Deleting the child channel would result in an unhandled exception error. Rules were added into the oracle database at the time of table creation which would correctly delete the related rows that matched the channel to be deleted. Database data with associated channels should now be cleaned up correctly.
- The sorting directions in the Satellite web interface's drop-down lists were displaying incorrectly causing confusion in the "Managing Channels" interface. The fix updated the perl channel-select-dropdowns to use the same hierarchical sorting as java pages. The sorting directions should now reflect uniformly.
- When a client system is registered to a Satellite Server via an RHN Proxy server, koan attempts to download the kickstart file directly from the Satellite server because of Cobbler redirection. This results in a URLError. Cobbler will now replace the hostname of the server with the hostname of the first proxy in the chain if koan is requesting anything from the cobbler API.
- When a request in one thread breaks in a multi-threaded task,
satellite-synclocks up on the download. The thread throwing the traceback will now release the lock so other threads will continue the download.
Chapter 5. Known Issues
- Monitoring with SELinux in enforcing mode continues to be offered as a technical preview for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 installations of RHN Satellite and RHN Proxy.
Chapter 6. API Information
listVendorChannelsLists all the vendor software channels that the user's organization is entitled to.
removeErrataRemoves a given list of errata from the given channel.
mergeErrataMerges all errata from one channel into another based upon a given start/end date.
removeRepoRemoves a repository.
updateRepoURLUpdates repository source URL.
updateRepoLabelUpdates repository label.
updateRepoUpdates a ContentSource repository.
getRepoDetailsReturns details of the given repository.
getEncodedFileRevisionGet revision of the specified configuration file.
lookupFileInfoGiven a list of paths and a channel, it returns details about the latest revisions of the paths.
listXccdfScansReturns a list of finished OpenSCAP scans for a given system.
getXccdfScanDetailsGets details of a selected OpenSCAP XCCDF scan.
getXccdfScanRuleResultsReturns a full list of RuleResults for given OpenSCAP XCCDF scan.
scheduleXccdfScanSchedule OpenSCAP scan.
provisionVirtualGuestProvisions a guest on the specified host. This API method schedules the guest for creation and will begin the provisioning process when the host checks in. Or, if OSAD is enabled, it will begin immediately. This method defaults to mac_address=random, memory=512MB, vcpu=1, and storage=3GB.
getSystemCurrencyMultipliersObtains the System Currency score multipliers.
getSystemCurrencyScoresObtains the System Currency score multipliers.
getUuidObtains the UUID from the given system ID.
ks.cfgpreservation option for a kickstart profile.
ks.cfgpreservation option for a kickstart profile.
isMonitoringEnabledThis API method will return "True" if monitoring is enabled on the satellite.
isMonitoringEnabledBySystemIdThis API method will return "True" if monitoring is enabled on the satellite.
archiveActionsArchives all actions in the given list.
uuidLists the systems which match this UUID.
Modified APIs (interface changes only)
channel.software.clonePreferred gpg parameters are:
gpg_key_fp. (The old
gpg_fingerprintare kept for compatibility reasons.)
system.config.createOrUpdatePathNow accepts the '
binary' attribute to support binary uploads.
errata.getDetailsNow returns an '
errata.createNow takes the '
errataFrom' attribute. It also takes the '
url' attribute within the bug structure.
packages.listChangelogNow returns changelog string instead of an array of maps representing the changelog.
channel.software.disassociateRepoNow returns a list of
contentSourcesstructure instead of
system.config.createOrUpdatePathNow returns the '
system.getRelevantErrataByTypeNow returns the '
issue_date' and '
system.getNetworkDevicesNow returns a list of IPv6 address structures.
system.comparePackageProfileNow returns the '
system.getScriptActionDetailsNow returns the '
system.listPackagesNow returns the '
system.getNetworkNow returns the '
APIs Recently Deprecated
APIs Recently Removed
activationkey.addChildChannelsAPI call checks for parent channel presence in the activation key before it added a child channel. If it failed to detect it, an exception resulted. In the latest version,
activationkey.addChildChannelswill now allow a child channel to be created with an activation key that has no base channel set.
- Satellite should be ignoring the parameters macro-start-delimiter and macro-end-delimiter to create a directory. Instead, this causes a traceback fault. This fix in
configchannel.createOrUpdatePathignores the macro delimiters if it is working with a directory.
- Previously, turning on auto_errata_update via the
system.setDetailsAPI did not schedule events correctly. This fix will allow the scheduling of errata update when auto_errata_update is enabled via the
- When calling
system.config.createOrUpdatePathwith the same content for multiple system, it causes an exception and leaves inconsistent config files that cannot be deleted using the Satellite graphical interface. This fix prevents
system.config.createOrUpdatePathfrom causing a deadlock and will not cause exceptions.
- The API system.getDmi() method did not return any data when the "System" field in the RHNSERVERDMI table is null. The null dmi.getBios() API call which caused the issue has been fixed and system.getDmi() now returns values when RHNSERVERDMI has blank rows.
- The API system.getDmi() method did not return data when the "BIOS_VERSION" field in the RHNSERVERDMI table is null. The null dmi.getBios() API call which caused the issue has been fixed and system.getDmi() now returns values when RHNSERVERDMI has blank rows.
- System Currency only generated a web interface report. An API call has been added to
System Currencyto allow System Currency to generate an API report.
- Previously, the
ks.cfgfile could only be preserved via a check box in the web interface. A new XMLRPC API method was added to allow changes in the kickstart preserve
ks.cfgoption to work via the API.
system.getScriptResultsreturned malformed XML. This fix prevents the
system.getScriptResultsAPI from sending XML invalid characters.
- The API documentation for deployAllSystems() did not show the date parameter when it called the deployAllSystems() method. The API documentation for deployAllSystems() has been fixed to include the date parameter.
- Configuration channels could not be queried as the content of channel_label when querying
system.config.listFilesis not the label but the channel name instead. This is fixed in this release.
system.config.listFilesnow returns the channel label and not the channel name.
- The API documentation for errata.listPackages was incomplete and did not give a full accounting of the actual return of the API. The documentation has been updated to add file and checkstum_type.
- activationkey.listActivationKeys() returned all activation keys when called, instead of those that should only be visible for the user. This has been fixed to only show custom activation keys.
listMyChannelsdoes not return the correct provider_name for customer-created channels, and also lists Red Hat channels if they have custom child channels. In this version, only channels owned by the user's organization are returned by the API, and the provider_name now matches the organization name.
channel.listSharedChannelsAPI previously listed channels not just from the current organization but from other organizations as well. This has been fixed. The Shared Channels page and API now only returns channels from the current org.
- Previously, the
channel.listRedHatChannelsAPI output included custom channels. This has been fixed and only Red Hat channels are now included in the
- Verbose logging of caller_ip details in the
rhn_web_api.logfile is now enabled.
- Issues with binary file handling prevented API binary file uploads. How
configchannel.createOrUpdatePathhandles binary files have been corrected and now accepts '
binary' attributes. In addition,
configchannel.lookupFileInfonow returns base64 encoded content for binary files. API binary file uploads are now possible.
Appendix A. Revision History
|Revision 1-19||Thu Aug 20 2015|
|Revision 1-17||Wed May 22 2013|
|Revision 1-16||Fri Feb 15 2013|
|Revision 1-15||Thu Feb 14 2013|
|Revision 1-14||Mon Oct 24 2012|
|Revision 1-13||Mon Oct 22 2012|
|Revision 1-12||Fri Sep 21 2012|
|Revision 1-11||Fri Sep 21 2012|
|Revision 1-10||Wed Sept 19 2012|
|Revision 1-9||Wed Sep 19 2012|
|Revision 1-8||Mon Sep 10 2012|
|Revision 1-7||Mon Sep 10 2012|
|Revision 1-6||Mon Sep 10 2012|
|Revision 1-5||Thu Sep 6 2012|
|Revision 1-4||Tue Sep 4 2012|
|Revision 1-3||Mon Sep 3 2012|
|Revision 1-2||Fri Aug 31 2012|
|Revision 1-1||Fri Aug 24 2012|
|Revision 1-0||Fri Aug 24 2012|