- Connects over SSL to central RHN Servers, authenticates itself as an RHN Satellite Server, and triggers an export of RHN data — unless a local mount point for RHN-exported data is specified, in which case no connection is necessary. Refer to Section 6.3.2, “Synchronizing Errata and Packages via Local Media” for an explanation.
- Examines the export and identifies differences between the RHN Satellite Server data set and the exported RHN data set. For a particular channel, the following information is analyzed:
- Channel metadata
- Metadata of all packages in that channel
- Metadata for all Errata that affect that channel
NoteAll analysis is performed on the RHN Satellite Server; the central RHN Servers deliver only an export of its channel information and remain ignorant of any details regarding the RHN Satellite Server.
- After the analysis of the export data, any differences are imported into the RHN Satellite Server database. Please note that importing new packages may take variable lengths of time. For a large update, an import can take many hours.
satellite-synccommand can be used in two modes: via RHN and via local media.
6.3.1. Synchronizing Errata and Packages Directly via RHN
satellite-sync -c rhel-i386-as-3