3.6. Server Tuning for Large Numbers of Agents
- Increase the default size of the storage node memory usage. This is only necessary for a large number of nodes, around 1,000 or more.This setting is found in the storage node administration UI. To change the storage node's JVM heap size, enter a new value into the and click the Save button. The configuration change will be applied on disk and then the storage node be restarted so that the change takes effect.
Figure 3.1. Storage node configuration settings
- Increase the EJB pool.
- Open the server's
[root@server ~]# vim /opt/jon/jon-server-3.3.0.GA/jbossas/standalone/configuration/standalone-full.xml
- Change the strict-max-pool key to increase the pool size. The default is 20. For example:
<strict-max-pool name="slsb-strict-max-pool" max-pool-size="2000" instance-acquisition-timeout="1" instance-acquisition-timeout-unit="MINUTES"/>NoteIf this option is chosen, and the
standalone-full.xmlfile is modified, administrators will need to maintain it outside of the JON upgrade process. Patches and updates will revert the file to its default configuration.
- Increase the concurrency limits to increase how many agents can communicate with the server simultaneously.
- Open the
[root@server ~]# vim serverRoot/jon-server-3.3.0.GA/bin/rhq-server.properties
- There is a block of communication-related parameters. Concurrency limits are set in the concurrency-limit parameters and the rhq.communications.global-concurrency-limit parameter. There are other communication limits for web UI connections and downloads. The different communication parameters are covered in Section 6.3.3, “Setting Concurrency Limits”.For example:
rhq.server.startup.web.max-connections=1000 rhq.server.agent-downloads-limit=45 rhq.server.client-downloads-limit=5 rhq.communications.global-concurrency-limit=200 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.inventory-report=25 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.availability-report=25 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.inventory-sync=25 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.content-report=25 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.content-download=25 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.measurement-report=25 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.measurement-schedule-request=25 rhq.server.concurrency-limit.configuration-update=25
- Restart the server to load the new settings.
[root@server ~]# serverRoot/jon-server-3.3.0.GA/bin/rhqctl restart --server