Initial Setup for the Resource Inventory, Groups, and Users
for initially setting up resources and security in JBoss ON
1. Using the JBoss ON Web Interface
1.1. Supported Web Browsers
- Firefox 10
- Internet Explorer 8
1.2. Logging into the JBoss ON Web UI
rhq-server.propertiesfile, JBoss ON is completely administered through its web interface.
Figure 1. Logging into JBoss ON
1.3. A High Level Walk-Through
- The top menu
- The left menu tables
- The dashboard
- Resource-based tables, which can be for the resource inventory, a summary report, or the results of a search
- Configuration pages which both provide details for and access to elements in JBoss ON, including resources, groups, plug-ins, and JBoss ON server settings
Figure 2. UI Elements All Together
Figure 6. Dashboard View
1.3.4. Inventory Browsers and Summaries
- Tabs for different areas, with subtabs that further break down information
- A table of results
- Icons that open a configuration or task option for that specific entity
- Buttons that perform actions (create, delete, or some other specific action) on the entries; some of these buttons aren't active unless an entry is selected
Figure 7. Inventory Browser
1.3.5. Entry Details Pages
Figure 8. Resource Tree
Figure 9. Tabs for a Resource Entry
Figure 10. Editable Areas for a Resource Entry
1.3.6. Shortcuts in the UI
- The Message Center shows all notifications that have been sent by the JBoss ON server. This includes alerts, configuration changes, changes to the inventory, or error messages for the server or UI.
- The alerts area shows the total number of current alerts for all resources in the inventory.
- The Favorites button can be used to navigate to selected resources and groups quickly, while the little blue ribbon on resource pages can be used to add that resource to the favorites list.
- The resource available is shown as a green check mark if the resource is available and a red X if the resource is down.
Figure 11. Shortcuts
1.4. Getting Notifications in the Message Center
Figure 12. Message Center
1.5. Sorting and Changing Table Displays
Figure 13. Basic Table Sorting on the Partition Events List
Figure 14. Basic Table Sorting on the Server Resources List
Figure 15. Advanced Table Sorting on the Server Resources List
Figure 16. Changing the Sort Method
1.6. Customizing the Dashboard
1.6.1. Editing Portlets
Figure 17. Portlet Icons
1.6.2. Adding and Editing Dashboards
Figure 18. Tabbed Dashboards
- Click thebutton in the far right of the main Dashboard.
NoteThe process of editing and adding Dashboards is very similar. The only difference is that to edit a Dashboard, you click thebutton.
- The new Dashboard opens in the edit mode. Enter a name for the new Dashboard.
- Add the desired portlets to the Dashboard. If necessary, change the number of columns to fit the number of portlets.
1.7. Setting Favorites
Figure 19. Favorites Icon
Figure 20. Favorites List
1.8. Deleting Entries
Figure 21. Delete Button in the Area Browser