2. JBoss Operations Network Prerequisites and Basic Installation
2.1. Software and Hardware Requirements
The list of supported platforms for JBoss Operations Network are listed at https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/articles/112523.
Regardless of the server or database platform, there are certain minimum requirements that must be met to install the JBoss ON server and its associated database.
2.2. Installing JBoss Operations Network 3.1.2
The Installation Guide has more information on configuration databases for the JBoss ON server, upgrading servers, and other installation information. This is a quick summary of performing an initial installation.
- Set up a database named
rhqadminand a database user named
rhqadmin. Make sure the database user has adequate permissions to perform operations on the JBoss ON database.
- Stop any currently running JBoss ON instances.
serverRoot/jon-server-3.1.2.GA/bin/rhq-server.sh stopIf the new JBoss ON server will use a database that existing JBoss ON instances are also using, then all of the existing JBoss ON instances have to be stopped. Otherwise, the installer will hang when it tries to contact the database and the database is unavailable because it is in use by another JBoss ON server.
- Download the server packages from the Red Hat Customer Portal.
- Open the Downloads tab in the top menu, and click the Downloads link under the JBoss Enterprise Middleware section.
- In the Product field, select the JBoss Operations Network product.
- Set the version to 3.1.2.
- Click the Download link for the base distribution and save the package to the appropriate location on the local system.
- Unzip the server distribution to the directory where it will be executed from. For example:
cd /opt unzip jon-server-3.1.2.GA.zipThis creates a
jon-server-3.1.2.GA/directory in your chosen installation root.
- Run the JBoss ON server:
- Open the server UI, which initially displays the JBoss ON server installer.
- Clicking the Click here to continue the installation link brings you to the main installer page.
- Go through the installer and fill in the information. Advanced settings can be exposed in the form.The main installer page appears different depending on the database settings.
- Install any additional agent plug-ins. Plug-in packs are available for all JBoss products:
To install a plug-in pack, extract the JAR files and copy them into the JBoss ON server deployment directory,
- Enterprise Application Platform (EAP)
- Enterprise Business Rules Management System (BRMS)
- Data Grid (JDG)
- Enterprise Data Services Platform (EDS-P)
- Enterprise Portal Platform (EPP)
- SOA Platform (SOA-P)
[root@server ~]# cd /tmp [root@server ~]# unzip jon-plugin-pack-agent_plugin_name-3.1.2.GA.zip [root@server ~]# cp jon-plugin-pack-agent_plugin_name/*.jar /opt/jon/jon-server-3.1.2.GA/pluginsThe server will detect and deploy the new plug-ins after a couple of minutes.