Chapter 7. Additional Resources
7.1. Review the Windup Quickstarts
The Windup quickstarts provide working examples of how to create custom Java-based rule add-ons and XML rules. You can use them as a starting point for creating your own custom rules.
You can download a ZIP file of the latest released version of the quickstarts. Or, if you prefer to play around with the source code, you can fork and clone the windup-quickstarts project repository.
7.1.1. Download the Latest Quickstart ZIP
- Open a browser and navigate to https://github.com/windup/windup-quickstarts/releases.
- Click on the most recent release to download the ZIP file to your local file system.
7.1.2. Fork and Clone the Quickstart GitHub Project
If you do not have the GitHub client (
git), download it from http://git-scm.com/ and install it.
Forklink on the Windup quickstart GitHub page to create the project in your own Git. The forked GitHub repository URL created by the fork should look like this: https://github.com/YOUR_USER_NAME/windup-quickstarts.git
Clone your Windup quickstart repository to your local file system:
$ git clone https://github.com/YOUR_USER_NAME/windup-quickstarts.git
This creates and populates a
windup-quickstartsdirectory on your local file system. Navigate to the newly created directory, for example
$ cd windup-quickstarts/
If you want to be able to retrieve the latest code updates, add the remote
upstreamrepository so you can fetch any changes to the original forked repository.
$ git remote add upstream https://github.com/windup/windup-quickstarts.git
To get the latest files from the
$ git reset --hard upstream/master
7.2. Get Involved
To help us make Windup cover most application constructs and server configurations, including yours, you can help with any of the following items.
- Send an email to email@example.com and let us know what Windup migration rules should cover.
- Provide example applications to test migration rules.
Identify application components and problem areas that may be difficult to migrate.
- Write a short description of these problem migration areas.
- Write a brief overview describing how to solve the problem migration areas.
- Try Windup on your application. Be sure to report any issues you encounter.
Contribute to the Windup rules repository.
- Write a Windup rule to identify or automate a migration process.
- Create a test for the new rule.
- Details are provided in the Windup Rules Development Guide.
Contribute to the project source code.
- Create a core rule.
- Improve Windup performance or efficiency.
- See the Windup Core Development Guide for information about how to configure your environment and set up the project.
Any level of involvement is greatly appreciated!
7.3. Important Links
- Windup wiki: https://github.com/windup/windup/wiki
- Windup forums: https://community.jboss.org/en/windup
Windup JIRA issue trackers
- Core Windup: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WINDUP
- Windup Rules: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WINDUPRULE
- Windup users mailing List: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Windup on Twitter: @JBossWindup
Windup IRC channel: Server FreeNode (
7.4. Known Windup Issues
You can review known issues for Windup here: Open Windup issues
7.5. Report Issues with Windup
Windup uses JIRA as its issue tracking system. If you encounter an issue executing Windup, please file a JIRA Issue.
If you do not have one already, you must sign up for a JIRA account in order to create a JIRA issue.
7.5.1. Create a JIRA Issue
Open a browser and navigate to https://issues.jboss.org/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa.
If you have not yet logged in, click the Log In link at the top right side of the page and enter your credentials.
Choose the following options and click the
For core Windup issues, choose Windup: (WINDUP).
For issues with Windup rules, choose: Windup rules (WINDUPRULES).
- Issue Type: Bug
On the next screen complete the following fields:
- Summary: Enter a brief description of the problem or issue.
- Environment: Provide the details of your operating system, version of Java, and any other pertinent information.
- Description: Provide a detailed description of the issue. Be sure to include logs and exceptions traces.
Attachment: If the application or archive causing the issue does not contain sensitive information and you are comfortable sharing it with the Windup development team, attach it to the issue using the
Createbutton to create the JIRA issue.