Red Hat Training
A Red Hat training course is available for Red Hat Fuse
2.7. Editing the SwitchYard Configuration File
The JBoss Integration and SOA Development plug-in for JBoss Developer Studio provides a graphical editor for creating and maintaining your SwitchYard configuration file (
Assuming you have the plug-in installed, when you open a
switchyard.xmlfile, by default it opens with the SwitchYard Visual Multipage Editor.
From here you can choose between three tabs (or views):
- This is the primary graphical interface for building your SwitchYard application. From here you can interact with and configure each of the application's entities, and add new entities from the Palette. The visual design is automatically converted into XML which you can view from the Source tab.
- In this tab you can set additional configuration such as Domain Properties and Security Configurations. You can also enable message tracing from here.
- From the Source tab you can see the source XML which is generated automatically from the entities configured in the Design tab.NoteUsers cannot modify the
switchyard.xmlfile directly from the Source tab.
- Q: Why should I use the graphical editor?
- Q: How can I modify the switchyard.xml file directly within JBoss Developer Studio?
Why should I use the graphical editor?
- The editor automatically manages dependencies for a project. For example, when you add a new binding or implementation to a composite, the editor adds the necessary info to
switchyard.xmland the necessary Maven dependencies to the
pom.xml. If you forget to update the
pom.xml, the project fails to build (validate).
- The editor automatically manages namespaces based on the features being used and the configuration level of the project.
- The editor provides syntax and semantic validation, such as missing transformations and unused references.
How can I modify the
switchyard.xmlfile directly within JBoss Developer Studio?
- Navigate to the
src/main/resources/META-INF/switchyard.xmlfile in the Project Explorer window.
- Right-click on the file and select Open With → XML Editor.
- Close the
switchyard.xmlfile (as presented by the SwitchYard Visual Multipage Editor) before opening it with the XML Editor to avoid synchronization issues.
- After completing your source edits, close the file and synchronize the model for the visual editor: right-click on the project in the Project Explorer, then select Maven → Update Project.
The default editor for this file now is the XML Editor. To change it back to the graphical editor, right-click on the file and select Open With → SwitchYard Visual Multipage Editor.
Red Hat recommends using the graphical editor to prevent corruption of the
switchyard.xmlfile. If the editor does not suit your needs, please consider submitting a request for enhancement.