Deploying Red Hat Insights on existing RHEL systems managed by Red Hat Cloud Access
Chapter 1. Red Hat Insights deployment overview
The following guidance is for users who want to deploy Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux on an existing Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) system connected to Red Hat Cloud Access.
This procedure involves the following tasks:
- Installing the Insights client on the system
Starting with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (RHEL8), RHEL ships with Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux preinstalled, so the Insights client installation procedure is not required on systems running RHEL8 or later. All RHEL systems, no matter which version, must be registered with the Red Hat Insights service.
- Registering the system to the Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux application.
1.1. Installing the client package
Install the client package on each system.
Enter the following command to install the current version of the Insights client package:
[root@server ~]# yum install insights-client
1.2. Registering the system to Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Register the system to communicate with the Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux service and to view results displayed in the Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux application console.
Enter the following command to register the system.
[root@server ~]# insights-client --register
Chapter 2. Viewing your Insights results
System and infrastructure results can be viewed in the Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux application dashboard.
The dashboard provides links to each available Insights service. This includes advisor, drift, vulnerability, compliance, policies and patch. From this starting point, you can proactively identify and manage issues affecting system security, performance, stability and availability.
- The insights-client package is installed on your system.
- You have a login account for Red Hat Hybrid Cloud Console with privileges that allow you to review the Red Hat Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux dashboard.
- Access the Insights for Red Hat Enterprise Linux dashboard.
- When the dashboard appears, click on the Inventory tab.
- Confirm that your system name appears in the list of system names that are registered with the Insights client.
Providing feedback on Red Hat documentation
We appreciate your feedback on our documentation. To provide feedback, highlight text in a document and add comments.
- You are logged in to the Red Hat Customer Portal.
- In the Red Hat Customer Portal, the document is in the Multi-page HTML viewing format.
To provide your feedback, perform the following steps:
Click the Feedback button in the top-right corner of the document to see existing feedback.Note
The feedback feature is enabled only in the Multi-page HTML format.
- Highlight the section of the document where you want to provide feedback.
Click the Add Feedback pop-up that appears near the highlighted text.
A text box appears in the feedback section on the right side of the page.
Enter your feedback in the text box and click Submit.
A documentation issue is created.
- To view the issue, click the issue link in the feedback view.