Deploying Red Hat Insights on existing RHEL systems managed by Red Hat Cloud Access
Chapter 1. Red Hat Insights deployment overview
The following guidance is for users who wish to deploy Red Hat Insights on an existing Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) system connected to Red Hat Cloud Access. This procedure involves the following tasks:
- Installing the insights-client on the system
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (RHEL8) ships with Red Hat Insights preinstalled, so the insights-client installation procedure is not required on RHEL8 systems. All RHEL systems, no matter which version, must be registered with the Red Hat Insights service.
- Registering the system to the Red Hat Insights application.
1.1. Installing the client package
The insights-client installation procedure is not required on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (RHEL8) systems.
Install the client package on each system.
Enter the following command to install the current version of the insights-client package:
[root@server ~]# yum install insights-client
1.2. Registering the system to Red Hat Insights
Register the system to communicate with the Red Hat Insights service and to view results displayed in the Red Hat Insights console.
Enter the following command to register the system.
[root@server ~]# insights-client --register
Chapter 2. Viewing your results
System and infrastructure results can be viewed in the Red Hat Insights console.
The Overview provides a view of current risks to your infrastructure. From this starting point, you can investigate how a specific rule is affecting your systems, or take a system-based approach and see all the rules that pose risk to a selected system.
Select Rule hits by severity to view rules by the Total Risk they pose to your infrastructure.
- Select Rule hits by category to see the type of risk they pose to your infrastructure.
- Search for a specific rule by name, or scroll through the list of rules to see high-level information about risk, systems exposed, and availability of Ansible Playbook to automate the remediation.
- Click on a rule to see a description of the rule, learn more from relevant knowledgebase articles, and view a list of systems at risk.
- Click on a system to see specific information about detected issues and steps to resolve the issue.