Chapter 5. Installing the console from the virtual appliance
5.1. Installing the virtual appliance on a virtual machine
- Obtain the Red Hat Gluster Storage Console Appliance and upload it to Red Hat Virtualization Management.
- Create a virtual machine to act as a server for Red Hat Gluster Storage Console, using the Red Hat Gluster Storage Console Appliance OVA file as a template.
- Boot the new virtual machine and run the setup script.
5.1.1. Before you begin
5.1.2. Install Red Hat Gluster Storage Console on a RHV-M virtual machine
Procedure 5.1. Uploading the appliance into Red Hat Virtualization Manager
Download the appliance
- Log on to the Red Hat Customer Portal (http://access.redhat.com/).
- Click onto go to Software and Download Center.
- Clickto go to Download Red Hat Gluster Storage.
- Set the Product Variant to
Red Hat Gluster Storage Management Console (for RHEL Server).
- Set the Version to the appropriate version. The appliance is available in version 3.1 or later.
- Click on Download Now beside the appropriate version of Red Hat Gluster Gluster Storage Console Appliance to download the appliance OVA file.
Upload the appliance to RHV-MUpload the appliance OVA file from
/path/to/appliance.ovato a Red Hat Virtualization Manager storage domain.
# ovirt-image-uploader -n appliance_name -e rhvm_storage_domain upload /path/to/appliance.ovaEnter the REST API password for the Red Hat Virtualization Manager administrative user (
admin@internal) when prompted.
Procedure 5.2. Creating a virtual machine with the appliance template
Start creating a new virtual machineLog in to the Red Hat Virtualization Manager interface and navigate to the Virtual Machines tab in the navigation pane.Click New VM to start the creation process.
Use the appliance as a templateFollow the prompts, ensuring that you select appliance_name in the Based on Template drop-down menu.
Procedure 5.3. Configuring the console appliance virtual machine
Ensure spice-xpi is installedEnsure that spice-xpi is installed on your local system so that you can view the console of your new virtual machine.
Start the new virtual machineWhen your new virtual machine is finished installing, start the virtual machine.
Configure the new virtual machineOpen the console of your new virtual machine. Run the
rhsc-setupcommand and follow the prompts to complete setup of Red Hat Gluster Storage.By default,
rhsc-setupruns in the online mode. This requires registration to Red Hat Network channels or repositories. Follow the steps in Section 4.1, “Registering to Red Hat Network” to register with Red Hat Network and subscribe to the appropriate channels and repositories.If your system has limited connectivity, or you don't want to configure repositories now, you can run this command in the offline mode:
# rhsc-setup --offlineIf you are configuring a number of machines the same way, you can also use the
--config-appendparameter to use a pre-configured answers file.When setup is complete, you can follow the normal process of setting up bricks, volumes, and trusted storage pools. If you set up in offline mode, you can also optionally register Red Hat Gluster Storage Console for updates by following the instructions in Section 4.1, “Registering to Red Hat Network”.