Show Table of Contents
17.3. Tiering Limitations
The following limitations apply to the use Tiering feature:
- Native client support for tiering is limited to Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6.7, 6.8 and 7.x clients. Tiered volumes cannot be mounted by Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x clients.
- Tiering works only with
cache friendlyworkloads. Attaching a tier volume to a cache unfriendly workload will lead to slow performance. In a
cache friendlyworkload, most of the reads and writes are accessing a subset of the total amount of data. And, this subset fits on the hot tier. This subset should change only infrequently.
- Tiering feature is supported only on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 based Red Hat Gluster Storage. Tiering feature is not supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 based Red Hat Gluster Storage.
- Only Fuse and gluster-nfs access is supported. Server Message Block (SMB) and nfs-ganesha access to tiered volume is not supported.
- Creating snapshot of a tiered volume is supported. Snapshot clones are not supported with the tiered volumes.
- When you run
tier detach commitor
tier detach force, ongoing I/O operations may fail with a Transport endpoint is not connected error.
- Files with hardlinks and softlinks are not migrated.
- Files on which POSIX locks has been taken are not migrated until all locks are released.