Chapter 2. Container-Native Storage for OpenShift Container Platform
- OpenShift provides the platform as a service (PaaS) infrastructure based on Kubernetes container management. Basic OpenShift architecture is built around multiple master systems where each system contains a set of nodes.
- Red Hat Gluster Storage provides the containerized distributed storage based on Red Hat Gluster Storage 3.1.3 container. Each Red Hat Gluster Storage volume is composed of a collection of bricks, where each brick is the combination of a node and an export directory.
- Heketi provides the Red Hat Gluster Storage volume life cycle management. It creates the Red Hat Gluster Storage volumes dynamically and supports multiple Red Hat Gluster Storage clusters.
- Create multiple persistent volumes (PV) and register these volumes with OpenShift.
- Developers then submit a persistent volume claim (PVC).
- A PV is identified and selected from a pool of available PVs and bound to the PVC.
- The OpenShift pod then uses the PV for persistent storage.
Figure 2.1. Architecture - Container-Native Storage for OpenShift Container Platform