Chapter 23. Accessing Red Hat Gluster Storage using Amazon Web Services
23.1. Launching Red Hat Gluster Storage Instances
Table 23.1. Supported Configuration on Amazon Web Services
|EBS Volume Type||Minimum Number of Volumes per Instance||Maximum Number of Volumes per Instance||EBS Volume Capacity Range||Brick Range|
|Magnetic||1||24||1 GiB - 1 TiB||1 GiB - 24 TiB|
|General purpose SSD||1||24||1 GiB - 16 TiB||1GiB - 384 TiB|
|PIOPS SSD||1||24||4 GiB - 16 TiB||128 GiB - 384 TiB|
- There is a limit on the total provisioned IOPS per volume and the limit is 40,000. Hence, while adding 24 PIOPS SSD disks, you must ensure that the total IOPS of all disks does not exceed 40,000.
- Creation of Red Hat Gluster Storage volume snapshot is supported on magnetic, general purpose SSD and PIOPS EBS volumes. You can also browse the snapshot content using USS. See Chapter 16, Managing Snapshots for information on managing Red Hat Gluster Storage volume snapshots.
- Tiering feature of Red Hat Gluster Storage is supported in the Amazon Web Service environment. You can attach bricks created out of PIOPS or general purpose SSD volumes as hot tier to an existing or new Red Hat Gluster Storage volume created out of magnetic EBS volumes. See Chapter 12, Managing Tiering for information on creation of tiered volumes.
- Navigate to the Amazon Web Services home page at http://aws.amazon.com. The Amazon Web Services home page appears.
- Login to Amazon Web Services. The Amazon Web Services main screen is displayed.
- Click the Amazon EC2 tab. The Amazon EC2 Console Dashboard is displayed.
- Click Launch Instance.The Step 1: Choose an AMI screen is displayed.
- Click My AMIs and select shared with me checkbox. Click Select for the corresponding AMI and click Next: Choose an Instance Type. The Step 2: Choose an Instance Type screen is displayed.
- Select Large as the instance type, and click Next: Configure Instance Details . The Step 3: Configure Instance Details screen displays.
- Specify the configuration for your instance or continue with the default settings, and click Next: Add Storage The Step 4: Add Storage screen displays.
- In the Add Storage screen, specify the storage details and click Next: Tag Instance. The Step 5: Tag Instance screen is displayed.
- Enter a name for the instance in the Value field for Name, and click Next: Configure Security Group. You can use this name later to verify that the instance is operating correctly. The Step 6: Configure Security Group screen is displayed.
- Select an existing security group or create a new security group and click Review and Launch.You must ensure to open the following TCP port numbers in the selected security group:
- 6000, 6001, 6002, 443, and 8080 ports if Red Hat Gluster Storage for OpenStack Swift is enabled
- Choose an existing key pair or create a new key pair, and click Launch Instance.