Chapter 3. Fuse on OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift enables you to deploy Fuse applications on OpenShift Container Platform.
3.1. Supported version of OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift is supported on OpenShift Container Platform 4.x and OpenShift Container Platform 3.11. For details of the supported version (or versions) of OpenShift Container Platform to use with Fuse on OpenShift, see the Supported Configurations page.
3.2. Supported images
Fuse on OpenShift provides the following Docker-formatted images:
fuse7/fuse-java-openshift— Spring Boot
fuse7/fuse-karaf-openshift— Apache Karaf
fuse7/fuse-eap-openshift— Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
fuse7/fuse-console— Fuse console
fuse7/fuse-console-operator— Fuse console operator
fuse7/fuse-apicurito— Apicurito REST API editor
fuse7/fuse-apicurito-generator— Apicurito REST application generator
fuse7/fuse-apicurito-operator-bundle— API Designer Operator
3.3. New features in Fuse 7.8 on OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift provides following new features in version 7.8:
Support for installing Fuse on Openshift in a restricted environment
You can now install Fuse on OpenShift 4.x in a restricted environment, with no Internet access. You must mirror all of the Fuse on OpenShift images to a location available on your private network.Note
MAVEN_MIRROR_URLenvironment variable (used to configure applications to fetch Maven artifacts from a local Maven repository) works for the Spring Boot and Apache Karaf containers, but not for the JBoss EAP container.
- Fuse Console is now integrated with OpenShift authentication and authorization. For more details, see Role-based access control for the Fuse Console on OpenShift 4.x.
- Spring Boot 2 runtime is now supported on OpenShift.
Fuse Console operator
Fuse Console operator simplifies the procedures for installing, upgrading, and uninstalling the Fuse Console on OpenShift. For details of how to use the Fuse Console operator, see Set up the Fuse Console.
Support for installing API Designer Operator in a restricted environment
You can install API Designer Operator in a restricted environment from the OpenShift OperatorHub. You must mirror Operator catalog and the Fuse on OpenShift images to a location available on your private network.
Metering labels for Fuse on OpenShift
You can use the OpenShift Metering operator to analyze usage and statistics of Fuse on OpenShift.
3.4. Important notes
Important notes for the Fuse 7.8 release of the Fuse on OpenShift distribution:
- Upgrading to the Fuse 7.8 version of the Fuse Console and API Designer (Apicurito) operators only possible on OCP 4.6
- If you are using operators to install and upgrade Fuse Console and API Designer, you should note that the Fuse 7.8 operators are only available from the OCP 4.6 version of OperatorHub. To install the Fuse 7.8 operators, the recommended upgrade path is first to upgrade OpenShift to version OCP 4.6 and then to upgrade the Fuse operators to version 7.8. For more details, see ENTESB-15472.
- Data Virtualization has been removed
- Data Virtualization is deprecated since Fuse 7.7 and has been removed from Fuse 7.8.
- Spring Boot 1 is has been removed
- Spring Boot 1 is deprecated since Fuse 7.7 and has been removed from Fuse 7.8. We recommend that you migrate your Spring Boot applications to Spring Boot 2, following the guidance in the Spring Boot 2.0 Migration Guide.
- Container Development Kit (CDK) 3.14 is the recommended version for use with Fuse 7.8 on OpenShift 3.11
We recommend that developers use CDK 3.14 to try out applications on OpenShift 3.11. CDK is not available for OpenShift 4.x.Note
CDK is provided only as a convenience for developers and is not a supported OpenShift distribution.
eap-camel-jpaquickstart has been removed
eap-camel-jpaquickstart has been removed from Fuse 7.8 due to an issue with a dependency.
fabric8-maven-pluginno longer generates JSON resources
fabric8-maven-pluginno longer generates the following
JSONresources for Fuse on OpenShift:
The new plugin generates equivalent
.ymlfiles, that is,
kubernetes.ymlfiles. If required, you can still generate the JSON files by setting the following option in the
<configuration> <resourceFileType>json</resourceFileType> </configuration>
- Jolokia not externally accessible on Fuse 7.8
- Starting in Fuse 7.8, Jolokia default protocol is switched from HTTP to HTTPS.