Chapter 3. Fuse on OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift enables you to deploy Fuse applications on OpenShift Container Platform.
3.1. Supported version of OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift is supported on OpenShift Container Platform 4.x and OpenShift Container Platform 3.11. For details of the supported version (or versions) of OpenShift Container Platform to use with Fuse on OpenShift, see the Supported Configurations page.
3.2. Supported images
Fuse on OpenShift provides the following Docker-formatted images:
fuse7/fuse-java-openshift— Spring Boot
fuse7/fuse-karaf-openshift— Apache Karaf
fuse7/fuse-eap-openshift— Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
fuse7/fuse-console— Fuse console
fuse7/fuse-console-operator— Fuse console operator
fuse7/fuse-apicurito— Apicurito REST API editor
fuse7/fuse-apicurito-generator— Apicurito REST application generator
fuse7-tech-preview/fuse-apicurito-operator— API Designer Operator
3.3. New features in Fuse 7.7 on OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift provides following new features in version 7.7:
Fuse now can be installed on OpenShift 4.x in a restricted environment, with no Internet access.Note
MAVEN_MIRROR_URLenvironment variable (used to configure applications to fetch Maven artifacts from a local Maven repository) works for the Spring Boot and Apache Karaf containers, but not for the JBoss EAP container.
- Fuse Console is now integrated with OpenShift authentication and authorization. For more details, see Role-based access control for the Fuse Console on OpenShift 4.x.
- Spring Boot 2 runtime is now supported on OpenShift.
Fuse Console operator
Fuse Console operator simplifies the procedures for installing, upgrading, and uninstalling the Fuse Console on OpenShift. For details of how to use the Fuse Console operator, see Set up the Fuse Console.Note
In order to keep the connection between the Fuse Console proxy and the Jolokia agent secure, it is necessary to generate, sign and deploy a client certificate. This must be done manually, as an admin procedure, after installing Fuse Console on OCP 4.x.
3.4. Technology Preview features
The following features of Fuse on OpenShift are Technology Preview only and are not supported in Fuse 7.7:
- Data Virtualization
- Red Hat Data Virtualization is a container-native data virtualization service, based on the Teiid data virtualization project. Red Hat Data Virtualization combines data from multiple heterogeneous sources, such as relational databases, files, web services, and SaaS repositories. For more details, see Using Data Virtualization and Connecting to virtual databases.
- API Designer operator installation
- You can install the API Designer operator from the Operator Hub of OpenShift Container Platform 4.x. The API Designer operator provides you access to a Technology Preview of the API Designer operator for Fuse on OpenShift. The API Designer operator simplifies the procedures for installing, upgrading, and uninstalling API Designer on OpenShift. For details on how to install the API Designer operator, see Installing Fuse Imagestreams and Temaplates on the OpenShift 4.x Server.
Neither the API Designer operator nor the API Designer instance that it installs are supported. This technology preview feature is not suitable for testing on a production environment.
3.5. Important notes
Important notes for the Fuse 7.7 release of the Fuse on OpenShift distribution:
- Spring Boot 1 is deprecated
- Spring Boot 1 is deprecated since Fuse 7.7 and will be removed in a future release. Both deployment options, Spring Boot 1 standalone and Spring Boot 1 on OpenShift are deprecated. We recommend that you migrate your Spring Boot applications to Spring Boot 2, following the guidance in the Spring Boot 2.0 Migration Guide.
- Container Development Kit (CDK) 3.10 is the recommended version for use with Fuse 7.6 on OpenShift 3.11
We recommend that developers use CDK 3.10 to try out applications on OpenShift 3.11. CDK is not available for OpenShift 4.x.Note
CDK is provided only as a convenience for developers and is not a supported OpenShift distribution.