Chapter 3. Fuse on OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift enables you to deploy Fuse applications on OpenShift Container Platform.
3.1. Supported version of OpenShift
Fuse on OpenShift is now supported on OpenShift Container Platform 4.1. For details of the supported version (or versions) of OpenShift Container Platform to use with Fuse on OpenShift, see the Supported Configurations page.
3.2. Supported images
Fuse on OpenShift provides the following Docker-formatted images:
fuse7/fuse-java-openshift— Spring Boot
fuse7/fuse-karaf-openshift— Apache Karaf
fuse7/fuse-eap-openshift— Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
fuse7/fuse-console— Fuse console
fuse7/fuse-console-operator— Fuse console operator
fuse7/fuse-apicurito— Apicurito REST API editor
fuse7/fuse-apicurito-generator— Apicurito REST application generator
fuse7-tech-preview/fuse-apicurito-operator— API Designer Operator
3.3. New features in Fuse 7.5
Fuse on OpenShift provides following new features in version 7.5:
- Spring Boot 2 runtime is now supported on OpenShift.
- Fuse on OpenShift is now supported on OpenShift 4.1.
Fuse Console operator:
Fuse Console operator simplifies the procedures for installing, upgrading, and uninstalling the Fuse Console on OpenShift. For details of how to use the Fuse Console operator, see Set up the Fuse Console.Note
In order to keep the connection between the Fuse Console proxy and the Jolokia agent secure, it is necessary to generate, sign and deploy a client certificate. This must be done manually, as an admin procedure, after installing Fuse Console on OCP 4.x.
3.4. Technology Preview features
The following features of Fuse on OpenShift are Technology Preview only and are not supported in Fuse 7.5:
- Data Virtualization
- Red Hat Data Virtualization is a container-native data virtualization service, based on the Teiid data virtualization project. Red Hat Data Virtualization combines data from multiple heterogeneous sources, such as relational databases, files, web services, and SaaS repositories. For more details, see Data Integration.
- API Designer operator installation
- You can install the API Designer operator from the Operator Hub of OpenShift Container Platform 4.1. The API Designer operator provides you access to a Technology Preview of the API Designer operator for Fuse on OpenShift. The API Designer operator simplifies the procedures for installing, upgrading, and uninstalling API Designer on OpenShift. For details on how to install the API Designer operator, see Installing Fuse Imagestreams and Temaplates on the OpenShift 4.x Server.
Neither the API Designer operator nor the API Designer instance that it installs are supported. This technology preview feature is not suitable for testing on a production environment.
3.5. Important notes
Important notes for the Fuse 7.5 release of the Fuse on OpenShift distribution:
- Container Development Kit (CDK) 3.10 is the recommended version for use with Red Hat Fuse 7.5 on OpenShift 3.11
We recommend that developers use CDK 3.10 to try out applications on OpenShift 3.11. CDK is not available for OpenShift 4.Note
CDK is provided only as a convenience for developers and is not a supported OpenShift distribution.