Chapter 16. Connect to ServiceNow
An integration can retrieve records from a ServiceNow table or add records to a ServiceNow import set. To do this, you create a ServiceNow connection and then add that connection to an integration. For details, see:
16.1. Create a ServiceNow connection
In an integration, to connect to your company’s ServiceNow instance, you must create a ServiceNow connection.
- A ServiceNow administrator at your site must have created a ServiceNow account for you.
- You must know the URL for your ServiceNow instance as well your ServiceNow user name and password.
- If the ServiceNow administrator also created a ServiceNow client ID and client secret for you, then you must know these values.
- In Fuse Online, in the left panel, click Connections to display any available connections.
- In the upper right, click Create Connection to display Fuse Online connectors.
- Click the ServiceNow connector.
Configure this ServiceNow connection:
In the Instance Name field, enter the name of the ServiceNow instance that you want to obtain records from or copy records to. For example, if the URL for your ServiceNow instance is
https://abc12345.service-now.comthen the instance name is
- In the User Name field, enter your ServiceNow user name.
- In the User Password field, enter your ServiceNow password.
- Optionally, in the Client ID field, enter your client ID if you received one from your ServiceNow administrator.
- Optionally, in the Client Secret field, enter your client secret if you received one from your ServiceNow administrator.
- Click Validate. Fuse Online immediately tries to validate the connection and displays a message that indicates whether or not validation is successful. If validation fails, revise the configuration details as needed and try again.
- When validation is successful, click Next.
- In the Instance Name field, enter the name of the ServiceNow instance that you want to obtain records from or copy records to. For example, if the URL for your ServiceNow instance is
In the Connection Name field, enter your choice of a name that helps you distinguish this connection from any other connections. For example, enter
ServiceNow Con 1.
In the Description field, optionally enter any information that is helpful to know about this connection. For example, enter
ServiceNow connection that uses administrative credentials.
- In the upper right, click Create to see that the connection you created is now available. If you entered the example name, you would see that ServiceNow Con 1 appears as a connection that you can choose to add to an integration.
16.2. Start an integration by obtaining records from ServiceNow
To start an integration by obtaining records from ServiceNow, add a ServiceNow connection to an integration as the start connection.
- You created a ServiceNow connection.
- You must know the name of the table that you want to retrieve records from.
- You should have already defined a ServiceNow query that obtains only the records that you want. You can find information about ServiceNow queries here: ServiceNow encoded queries.
- In the Fuse Online panel on the left, click Integrations.
- Click Create Integration.
- On the Choose a Start Connection page, click the ServiceNow connection that you want to use to start the integration.
- On the Choose an Action page, click Retrieve Record to obtain records from a ServiceNow table that you select.
Configure the Retrieve Record action:
- Click in The table name field and select the table that you want to obtain records from.
In The query used to filter the result set field, enter a ServiceNow query. For example, consider the
state=1^impact=2query on a table that keeps records about incidents. This query returns records for new incidents (
state=1) that have a medium impact (
impact=2). If you do not enter a query and the records in the table do not change, then the connection obtains the same records every time.
In the Limit of elements per page field, enter the maximum number of records that you want the connection to obtain. In this release, you must enter a value, the recommendation is to enter
1000or less, and pagination is not supported.
- In the Period field, indicate how often you want to obtain records. The default is every minute. In other words, by default, Fuse Online executes this integration every 60 seconds.
- Click Done.
- Fuse Online generates a JSON schema that defines the structure of the obtained records. This enables you to add a data mapping step before the next connection in the integration if data mapping is needed.
- Fuse Online prompts you to choose a finish connection.
16.3. Copy records to ServiceNow during or to finish an integration
In the middle of an integration, or to finish an integration, you can copy records to ServiceNow. To do this, add a ServiceNow connection to an integration as the finish connection or as a middle connection.
- You are creating or editing an integration.
- The integration has a start connection.
- You know the name of the ServiceNow import set that you want to add records to. Your ServiceNow administrator can help you identify the appropriate import set.
- The ServiceNow import set must have been configured to handle the addition of records.
Do one of the following:
- To finish the integration by copying records to ServiceNow, on the Choose a Finish Connection page, click the ServiceNow connection that you want to use to finish the integration.
- To copy records to ServiceNow in the middle of an integration, after the integration has a start connection and a finish connection, in the integration visualization panel on the left, hover over the plus sign that is in the location where you want to copy records to ServiceNow. Click Add a connection, and click the ServiceNow connection that you want to add to the integration.
- Click the Create Record action.
- Click in The Import Set name field and select the import set that you want to add records to.
- Click Next.
- Fuse Online adds the connection to the integration.
- If a data mapper step is needed before this connection, then in the integration visualization panel, Fuse Online displays on the connection.