Appendix E. Preparing a Local Manually-Configured PostgreSQL Database for Use with the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
engine-setup, creates and configures the Manager database locally on the Manager machine. For automatic database configuration, see Section 3.3, “Configuring the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager”. To configure the Manager database on a machine that is separate from the machine where the Manager is installed, see Appendix D, Preparing a Remote PostgreSQL Database for Use with the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager.
engine-setup. To set up the database, you must first install the rhevm package on the Manager machine; the postgresql-server package is installed as a dependency.
engine-backup --mode=restorecommands only support system error messages in the
en_US.UTF8locale, even if the system locale is different.
postgresql.conffile must be set to
Procedure E.1. Preparing a Local Manually-Configured PostgreSQL Database for use with the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
- Initialize the PostgreSQL database, start the
postgresqlservice, and ensure that this service starts on boot:
# su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/initdb --locale=en_US.UTF8 --auth='ident' --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql/data/" # service postgresql start # chkconfig postgresql on
- Connect to the psql command line interface as the
# su - postgres $ psql
- Create a user for the Manager to use when it writes to and reads from the database. The default user name on the Manager is
postgres=# create role user_name with login encrypted password 'password';
- Create a database in which to store data about the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization environment. The default database name on the Manager is
postgres=# create database database_name owner user_name template template0 encoding 'UTF8' lc_collate 'en_US.UTF-8' lc_ctype 'en_US.UTF-8';
- Connect to the new database and add the
postgres=# \c database_name database_name=# CREATE LANGUAGE plpgsql;
- Ensure the database can be accessed remotely by enabling md5 client authentication. Edit the
/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conffile, and add the following line immediately underneath the line starting with
localat the bottom of the file:
host [database name] [user name] 0.0.0.0/0 md5 host [database name] [user name] ::0/0 md5
- Restart the
# service postgresql restart