Chapter 17. Utilities
17.1. The oVirt Engine Rename Tool
17.1.1. The oVirt Engine Rename Tool
engine-setupcommand is run in a clean environment, the command generates a number of certificates and keys that use the fully qualified domain name of the Manager supplied during the setup process. If the fully qualified domain name of the Manager must be changed later on (for example, due to migration of the machine hosting the Manager to a different domain), the records of the fully qualified domain name must be updated to reflect the new name. The
ovirt-engine-renamecommand automates this task.
ovirt-engine-renamecommand updates records of the fully qualified domain name of the Manager in the following locations:
ovirt-engine-renamecommand creates a new certificate for the web server on which the Manager runs, it does not affect the certificate for the engine or the certificate authority. Due to this, there is some risk involved in using the
ovirt-engine-renamecommand, particularly in environments that have been upgraded from Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization version 3.2 and earlier. Therefore, changing the fully qualified domain name of the Manager by running
engine-setupis recommended where possible.
17.1.2. Syntax for the oVirt Engine Rename Command
- Allows you to specify the new fully qualified domain name for the Manager without user interaction.
- Allows you to specify the path and name of a file into which logs of the rename operation are to be written.
- Allows you to specify the path and file name of a configuration file to load into the rename operation.
- Allows you to specify the path and file name of a configuration file to append to the rename operation. This option can be used to specify the path and file name of an answer file.
- Allows you to specify the path and file name of a file into which your answers to and the values changed by the
ovirt-engine-renamecommand are recorded.
17.1.3. Using the oVirt Engine Rename Tool
You can use the
ovirt-engine-rename command to update records of the fully qualified domain name of the Manager.
Procedure 17.1. Renaming the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
- Prepare all DNS and other relevant records for the new fully qualified domain name.
- Update the DHCP server configuration if DHCP is used.
- Update the host name on the Manager.
- Run the following command:
- When prompted, press Enter to stop the engine service:
During execution engine service will be stopped (OK, Cancel) [OK]:
- When prompted, enter the new fully qualified domain name for the Manager:
New fully qualified server name:[new name]
ovirt-engine-rename command updates records of the fully qualified domain name of the Manager.