Chapter 2. Launching applications in GNOME
You can launch installed applications using several different methods in the GNOME desktop environment.
2.1. Launching an application in the standard GNOME session
This procedure launches a graphical application in the GNOME desktop environment.
- You are using the standard GNOME session.
Open the Activities Overview screen using either of the following ways:
- Click Activities in the top panel.
- Press the Super key, which is usually labeled with the Windows logo, ⌘, or 🔍.
Find the application using either of the following ways:
Click the Show Applications icon in the bottom horizontal bar.
- Type the name of the required application in the search entry.
- Click the application in the displayed list.
2.2. Launching an application in GNOME Classic
This procedure launches a graphical application in the GNOME Classic desktop environment.
- You are using the GNOME Classic session.
- Open the Applications menu in the top panel.
Choose the required application from the available categories, which can include:
- Sound & Video
- System Tools
2.3. Launching an application in GNOME using a command
This procedure launches a graphical application in GNOME by entering a command.
- You know the command that starts the application.
Open a command prompt using either of the following ways:
- Open a terminal.
Press the Alt+F2 shortcut to open the Enter a Command screen.
- Type the application command in the command prompt.
- Confirm the command by pressing Enter.