Chapter 3. Installing applications in GNOME
This section describes various approaches that you can use to install a new application in GNOME 3.
- You have administrator permissions on the system.
3.1. The GNOME Software application
GNOME Software is a utility that enables you to install and update applications and GNOME Shell extensions through a graphical environment.
GNOME Software is based on the PackageKit technology, which serves as its back end. GNOME Software offers mainly the desktop applications, which are the applications that include the
*.desktop file. The available applications are grouped into multiple categories according to their purpose.
3.2. Installing an application using GNOME Software
This procedure installs a graphical application using the GNOME Software installer.
- Launch the GNOME Software application.
Find the application to be installed in the available categories:
- Audio & Video
- Communication & News
- Graphics & Photography
Add-ons include for example GNOME Shell extensions, codecs, or fonts.
- Developer Tools
Click the selected application.
3.3. Installing an application to open a file type
This procedure installs an application that can open a given file type.
- Try opening a file that is associated with an application that is currently not installed on your system.
- GNOME automatically identifies the suitable application that can open the file, and offers to download the application.
3.4. Installing an RPM package in GNOME
This paragraph is the procedure module introduction: a short description of the procedure.
- Download the required RPM package.
In the Files application, open the directory that stores the downloaded RPM package.Note
By default, downloaded files are stored in the
- Double-click the icon of the RPM package to install it.
3.5. Installing an application from the application search in GNOME
This procedure installs a graphical application that you find in the GNOME application search.
- Open the Activities Overview screen.
Start typing the name of the required application in the search entry.
GNOME automatically finds the application in a repository, and displays the application’s icon.
Click the application’s icon to open GNOME Software.
Click the icon of the application again.
- Click GNOME Software. to finish the installation in
3.6. Additional resources
- For installing software on the command line, see Installing software with yum.