Chapter 2. RHEL installation methods
You can install Red Hat Enterprise Linux using any of the following methods:
- GUI-based installations
- System or cloud image-based installations
- Advanced installations
This document provides details about installing RHEL using the user interfaces (GUI).
The following GUI-based installation methods are available:
- Install RHEL using an ISO image from the Customer Portal: Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux by downloading the Binary DVD ISO image file from the Customer Portal. Registration is performed after the GUI installation completes. This installation method is also supported by Kickstart.
Register and install RHEL from the Content Delivery Network: Register your system, attach subscriptions, and install Red Hat Enterprise Linux from the Content Delivery Network (CDN). This installation method is supported by the Boot ISO and Binary DVD ISO image files; however, it is recommended that you use the Boot ISO image file as the installation source defaults to CDN for the Boot ISO image file. Registration is performed before the installation packages are downloaded and installed from the CDN. This installation method is also supported by Kickstart.Important
You can customize the RHEL installation for your specific requirements using the GUI. You can select additional options for specific environment requirements, for example, Connect to Red Hat, software selection, partitioning, security, and many more. For more information, see Chapter 10, Customizing your installation.
System or cloud image-based installations
You can use system or cloud image-based installation methods only in virtual and cloud environments.
To perform a system or cloud image-based installation, use Red Hat Image Builder. Image Builder creates customized system images of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, including the system images for cloud deployment.
For more information about installing RHEL using Image Builder, see the Composing a customized RHEL system image document.
The following advanced installation methods are available:
- Perform an automated RHEL installation using Kickstart: Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux using Kickstart. Kickstart is an automated installation that allows you to execute unattended operating system installation tasks.
- Perform a remote RHEL installation using VNC: The RHEL installation program offers two VNC installation modes: Direct and Connect. Once a connection is established, the two modes do not differ. The mode you select depends on your environment.
- Install RHEL from the network using PXE : A network installation allows you to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux to a system that has access to an installation server. At a minimum, two systems are required for a network installation.
For more information about the advanced installation methods, see the Performing an advanced RHEL installation document.