Chapter 21. Completing the prerequisites and booting your firmware
Before you power on the system, ensure that you have the following items:
- Ethernet cable
- VGA monitor with resolution set to 1024x768-60Hz
- USB Keyboard
- Power cords and outlet for your system
These instructions require you to have a network server set up with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8. To do so, download Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 at Software Download page on the Customer Portal by following the steps below:
- Log in to your Red Hat account (if you have not already done so).
- Select Downloads for Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, little endian in the Product Variant list.
- Select the correct version in the Version list, next to the Product Variant list.
- Click Download Now beside the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.x DVD_ ISO file in the Product Software tab.
Once Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 is downloaded, complete the steps below to boot your firmware:
- Optional: If your system belongs in a rack, install your system into that rack. For instructions, see IBM Power Systems information at https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/POWER9/p9hdx/POWER9welcome.htm.
- Connect an Ethernet cable to the embedded Ethernet port next to the serial port on the back of your system. Connect the other end to your network.
- Connect your VGA monitor to the VGA port on the back of the system.
- Connect your USB keyboard to an available USB port.
- Connect the power cords to the system and plug them into the outlets.
At this point, your firmware is booting. Wait for the green LED on the power button to start flashing, indicating that it is ready to use. If your system does not have a green LED indicator light, then wait from 1 to 2 minutes to finish the firmware booting successfully.