Chapter 3. Creating a customized system image with an embed subscription using Red Hat Image Builder
You can create customized system images using Red Hat Image Builder that have a subscription activation key already embedded and upload those images to the cloud target environment.
3.1. Embedding an automatic subscription during the image creation by using Red Hat Image Builder
You can create images that have a subscription activation key already embedded in the image. With that, you can perform the registration during the image creation time.
- An account at Red Hat Customer Portal with an Insights subscription.
- An activation key. For more information about how to locate your key, see Locating your organization IDs.
Access Red Hat Image Builder on the browser.
The Red Hat Image Builder dashboard appears.
Click Create image.
The Create image dialog wizard opens.
On the Image output page, complete the following steps:
- From the Release list, select the Release that you want to use: for example, choose Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
From the Select target environments option, select the desired target(s) cloud environment.
On the Registration page, select the type of registration that you want to use. You can select from these options:
- Register images with Red Hat - Register and connect image instances, subscriptions and insights with Red Hat. For details on how to embed an activation key and register systems on first boot, see Chapter 3, Creating a customized system image with an embed subscription by using Red Hat Image Builder.
- Register image instances only - Register and connect only image instances and subscriptions with Red Hat.
Register later - Register the system after the image creation.
- Optional: On the Packages page, add packages to your image. See Chapter 4, Adding packages during image creation by using Red Hat Image Builder.
- On the Name image page, enter a name for your image and click Next. If you do not enter a name, you can find the image you created by its UUID.
On the Review page, review the information and click Create image.
After you complete the steps in the Create image wizard, the Image Builder dashboard is displayed. Red Hat Image Builder starts the compose of a RHEL image for the
The Red Hat Image Builder Images dashboard opens. You can see details such as the Image UUID, the cloud target environment, the image operating system release and the status of the image creation.Note
The image build, upload, and cloud registration processes can take up to ten minutes to complete.