Chapter 5. Accessing the IdM Web UI in a web browser
The following sections provide an overview of the IdM (Identity Management) Web UI and describe how to access it.
5.1. What is the IdM Web UI
The IdM (Identity Management) Web UI is a web application for IdM administration, a graphical alternative to the IdM command line tools.
You can access the IdM Web UI as:
- IdM users: A limited set of operations depending on permissions granted to the user in the IdM server. Basically, active IdM users can log in to the IdM server and configure their own account. They cannot change settings of other users or the IdM server settings.
- Administrators: Full access rights to the IdM server.
Active Directory users: A limited set of operations depending on permissions granted to the user.
Active Directory users cannot be administrators for Identity Management.
5.2. Web browsers supported for accessing the Web UI
IdM (Identity Management) supports the following browsers for connecting to the Web UI:
- Mozilla Firefox 38 and later
- Google Chrome 46 and later
5.3. Accessing the Web UI
The following procedure describes the first logging in to the IdM (Identity Management) Web UI with a password.
After the first login you can configure your IdM server to authenticate with:
For details, see Section 6.1, “Kerberos authentication in Identity Management”.
For details, see Section 38.1, “Configuring the IdM server for smart card authentication”.
One time password (OTP) — this can be combined with password and Kerberos authentication.
Type an IdM server URL into the browser address bar. The name will look similarly to the following example:
You just need to change
server.example.comwith a DNS name of your IdM server.
This opens the IdM Web UI login screen in your browser.
- If the server does not respond or the login screen does not open, check the DNS settings on the IdM server to which you are connecting.
If you use a self-signed certificate, the browser issues a warning. Check the certificate and accept the security exception to proceed with the login.
To avoid security exceptions, install a certificate signed by a certificate authority.
On the Web UI login screen, enter the administrator account credentials you added during the IdM server installation.
You can enter your personal account credentials as well if they are already entered in the IdM server.
- Click .
After the successful login, you can start configuring the IdM server.