1.3. The Basics of Registering the System and Managing Subscriptions
1.3.1. What Red Hat Subscriptions Are and Which Tasks They Can Be Used For
- Registered systems
- Products installed on those system
- Subscriptions attached to those product
1.3.2. Registering the System During the Installation
- Normally, registration is a part of the Initial Setup configuration process. For more information, see Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Installation Guide.
- Another option is to run Subscription manager as a post-installation script, which performs the automatic registration at the moment when the installation is complete and before the system is rebooted for the first time. To ensure this, modify the %post section of the Kickstart file. For more detailed information on running Subscription manager as a post-installation script, see Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Installation Guide.
1.3.3. Registering the System after the Installation
Procedure 1.1. Registering and Subscribing Your System
- Register your system:
subscription-manager registerThe command will prompt you to enter your Red Hat Customer Portal user name and password.
- Determine the pool ID of a subscription that you require:
subscription-manager list --availableThis command displays all available subscriptions for your Red Hat account. For every subscription, various characteristics are displayed, including the pool ID.
- Attach the appropriate subscription to your system by replacing pool_id with the pool ID determined in the previous step: