Chapter 22. OpenLMI
22.1. About OpenLMI
- System management agents — these agents are installed on a managed system and implement an object model that is presented to a standard object broker. The initial agents implemented in OpenLMI include storage configuration and network configuration, but later work will address additional elements of system management. The system management agents are commonly referred to as Common Information Model providers or CIM providers.
- A standard object broker — the object broker manages system management agents and provides an interface to them. The standard object broker is also known as a CIM Object Monitor or CIMOM.
- Client applications and scripts — the client applications and scripts call the system management agents through the standard object broker.
22.1.1. Main Features
- OpenLMI provides a standard interface for configuration, management, and monitoring of your local and remote systems.
- It allows you to configure, manage, and monitor production servers running on both physical and virtual machines.
- It is distributed with a collection of CIM providers that allow you to configure, manage, and monitor storage devices and complex networks.
- It allows you to call system management functions from C, C++, Python, and Java programs, and includes LMIShell, which provides a command line interface.
- It is free software based on open industry standards.
22.1.2. Management Capabilities
Table 22.1. Available CIM Providers
|openlmi-account||A CIM provider for managing user accounts.|
|openlmi-logicalfile||A CIM provider for reading files and directories.|
|openlmi-networking||A CIM provider for network management.|
|openlmi-powermanagement||A CIM provider for power management.|
|openlmi-service||A CIM provider for managing system services.|
|openlmi-storage||A CIM provider for storage management.|
|openlmi-fan||A CIM provider for controlling computer fans.|
|openlmi-hardware||A CIM provider for retrieving hardware information.|
|openlmi-realmd||A CIM provider for configuring realmd.|
|openlmi-software[a]||A CIM provider for software management.|
[a] In Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, the OpenLMI Software provider is included as a Technology Preview. This provider is fully functional, but has a known performance scaling issue where listing large numbers of software packages may consume excessive amount of memory and time. To work around this issue, adjust package searches to return as few packages as possible.