Show Table of Contents
3.9. Other XFS File System Utilities
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 also features other utilities for managing XFS file systems:
- Used to defragment mounted XFS file systems. When invoked with no arguments,
xfs_fsrdefragments all regular files in all mounted XFS file systems. This utility also allows users to suspend a defragmentation at a specified time and resume from where it left off later.In addition,
xfs_fsralso allows the defragmentation of only one file, as in
xfs_fsr /path/to/file. Red Hat advises not to periodically defrag an entire file system because XFS avoids fragmentation by default. System wide defragmentation could cause the side effect of fragmentation in free space.
- Prints the map of disk blocks used by files in an XFS filesystem. This map lists each extent used by a specified file, as well as regions in the file with no corresponding blocks (that is, holes).
- Prints XFS file system information.
- Changes the parameters of an XFS file system. The
xfs_adminutility can only modify parameters of unmounted devices or file systems.
- Copies the contents of an entire XFS file system to one or more targets in parallel.
The following utilities are also useful in debugging and analyzing XFS file systems:
- Copies XFS file system metadata to a file. Red Hat only supports using the
xfs_metadumputility to copy unmounted file systems or read-only mounted file systems; otherwise, generated dumps could be corrupted or inconsistent.
- Restores an XFS metadump image (generated using
xfs_metadump) to a file system image.
- Debugs an XFS file system.
For more information about these utilities, see their respective