2.9.1. New Default Desktop Environment (GNOME Classic)
- The top bar
- This bar across the top of the screen displays theand menus.The Activities Overview, which lets you easily view your open windows, workspaces, and any messages or system notifications.menu gives the user access to applications on the system, which are organized into a number of categories on the menu. This menu also provides access to the newThemenu is displayed next to the menu on the top bar. It gives the user quick access to important folders, for example
- The taskbar
- The taskbar is displayed at the bottom of the screen, and features a window list, a notification icon, and a short identifier for the current workspace and the total number of available workspaces.
2.9.2. New Desktop Environment (GNOME 3)
- The top bar
- This horizontal bar at the top of the screen provides access to some basic GNOME Shell functions, such as the Activities Overview, clock, calendar, system status icons, and the system menu.
- The Activities Overview
- The Activities Overview lets you easily view your open windows, workspaces, and any messages or system notifications. The search bar is the easiest way to find your files, launch applications, or open configuration tools. The dash on the left-hand side shows your favourite applications, so you can access your most frequently used tools faster.
- The message tray
- The message tray appears as a bar across the bottom of your screen. It shows pending notifications, so you always know exactly what is happening on your system.
2.9.3. KDE Plasma Workspaces (KDE)
- A polished, consistent look and feel with the default Oxygen style.
- An updated notification system (movable and closable notifications, with speed graphs) with progress visualized in the panel.
- Workspace configuration now available in System Settings.
- The Activity Manager provides the ability to add, remove, save, restore, and switch between Activities.
- Optimizations to core and user interface elements for better performance.
- Adaptive power management, with a simplified user interface and easy profile switching.
- A new Print Manager, which simplifies printer configuration and provides fast, accurate reporting on printer status.
- An updated Dolphin File Manager with navigation buttons, tabbed browsing, and improvements to metadata handling.
- An updated terminal emulator (Konsole) with improved tab and window control and improved interoperability.
- A new display manager, KScreen, which automatically can remember and restore display configuration, including resolution and relative position.
- A new applet, Plasma Network Manager, which makes it easy to control your network and configure network connections.