15.2. Overview of the IBM Z Installation Procedure
Booting the InstallationConnect with the mainframe, then perform an initial program load (IPL), or boot, from the medium containing the installation program. See Chapter 16, Booting the Installation on IBM Z for details.
AnacondaUse the Anaconda installation program to configure network, specify language support, installation source, software packages to be installed, and to perform the rest of the installation. See Chapter 17, Installing Using Anaconda for more information.
15.2.1. Booting the Installation
kernel.img) and initial RAM disk (
initrd.img) with at least the parameters in the
generic.prmfile. Additionally, a
generic.insfile is loaded which determines file names and memory addresses for the initrd, kernel and generic.prm.
- z/VM reader - see Section 16.3.1, “Using the z/VM Reader” for details.
- SE or HMC through a remote FTP server - see Section 16.4.1, “Using an FTP Server” for details.
- SE or HMC DVD - see Section 16.4.4, “Using an FCP-attached SCSI DVD Drive” for details.
- SCSI device that is attached through an FCP channel - see Section 16.3.3, “Using a Prepared FCP-attached SCSI Disk” for z/VM or Section 16.4.3, “Using a Prepared FCP-attached SCSI Disk” for LPAR.
- FCP-attached SCSI DVD - see Section 16.3.4, “Using an FCP-attached SCSI DVD Drive” for z/VM or Section 16.4.4, “Using an FCP-attached SCSI DVD Drive” for LPAR
15.2.2. Installation using Anaconda
- Graphical Mode
- Graphical installation is done through a VNC client. You can use your mouse and keyboard to navigate through the screens, click buttons, and type into text fields. For more information on performing a graphical installation using VNC, see Chapter 24, Using VNC.
- Text-based Mode
- This interface does not offer all interface elements of the GUI and does not support all settings. Use this for interactive installations if you cannot use a VNC client. For more information about text-based installations, see Section 17.4, “Installing in Text Mode”.
- Command-line Mode
- This is intended for automated and non-interactive installations on IBM Z. Note that if the installation program encounters an invalid or missing kickstart command, the system will reboot. For more information about automated installation, see Chapter 26, Kickstart Installations.