Show Table of Contents
Chapter 9. Setting up to Develop Containerized Applications
Red Hat supports the development of containerized applications based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat OpenShift, and a number of other Red Hat products.
- Red Hat Container Development Kit (CDK) provides a Red Hat Enterprise Linux virtual machine that runs a single-node Red Hat OpenShift 3 cluster. It does not support OpenShift 4. Follow the instructions in the Red Hat Container Development Kit Getting Started Guide, Chapter 1.4., Installing CDK.
- Red Hat CodeReady Containers (CRC) brings a minimal OpenShift 4 cluster to your local computer, providing a minimal environment for development and testing purposes. CodeReady Containers is mainly targeted at running on developers' desktops.
- Red Hat Development Suite provides Red Hat tools for the development of containerized applications in Java, C, and C++. It consists of Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio, OpenJDK, Red Hat Container Development Kit, and other minor components. To install DevSuite, follow the instructions in the Red Hat Development Suite Installation Guide.
- .NET Core 3.1 is a general-purpose development platform for building high-quality applications that run on the OpenShift Container Platform versions 3.3 and later. For installation and usage instructions, see the .NET Core Getting Started Guide Chapter 2., Using .NET Core 3.1 on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform.
- Red Hat CodeReady Studio — Getting Started with Container and Cloud-based Development
- Product Documentation for Red Hat Container Development Kit
- Product Documentation for OpenShift Container Platform
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host — Overview of Containers in Red Hat Systems