B.2. The URI Failed to Connect to the Hypervisor
B.2.1. Cannot read CA certificate
- When running a command, the following error (or similar) appears:
$ virsh -c name_of_uri list error: Cannot read CA certificate '/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such file or directory error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
- The error message is misleading about the actual cause. This error can be caused by a variety of factors, such as an incorrectly specified URI, or a connection that is not configured.
- Incorrectly specified URI
- When specifying
qemu://sessionas a connection URI,
virshattempts to connect to host names
sessionrespectively. This is because
virshrecognizes the text after the second forward slash as the host.Use three forward slashes to connect to the local host. For example, specifying
virshconnect to the
systeminstance of libvirtd on the local host.When a host name is specified, the QEMU transport defaults to
TLS. This results in certificates.
- Connection is not configured
- The URI is correct (for example,
qemu[+tls]://server/system) but the certificates are not set up properly on your machine. For information on configuring TLS, see Setting up libvirt for TLS available from the libvirt website.