B.5. Internal error cannot find character device (null)
- This error message appears when attempting to connect to a guest virtual machine's console:
# virsh console test2 Connected to domain test2 Escape character is ^] error: internal error cannot find character device (null)
- This error message shows that there is no serial console configured for the guest virtual machine.
- Set up a serial console in the guest's XML file.
Procedure B.1. Setting up a serial console in the guest's XML
- Add the following XML to the guest virtual machine's XML using virsh edit:
<serial type='pty'> <target port='0'/> </serial> <console type='pty'> <target type='serial' port='0'/> </console>
- Set up the console in the guest kernel command line.To do this, either log in to the guest virtual machine to edit the
/boot/grub/grub.conffile directly, or use the virt-edit command line tool. Add the following to the guest kernel command line:
- Run the followings command:
# virsh start vm && virsh console vm