4.2. Basic Requirements and Setup
- Virtualization with the KVM hypervisor is currently only supported on Intel 64 and AMD64 systems.
- Disk space and RAM
- 6 GB free disk space
- 2 GB RAM
- Customer Portal subscription
- To install virtualization packages, your host machine must be registered and subscribed to the Red Hat Customer Portal. To register run the
subscription-manager registercommand and follow the prompts. Alternatively, run the Red Hat Subscription Manager application from → on the desktop to register.
- Required packages
- Before you can use virtualization, a basic set of virtualization packages must be installed on your computer.
Procedure 4.1. Installing the virtualization packages with
yumTo use virtualization on Red Hat Enterprise Linux the libvirt, qemu-kvm and qemu-img packages must be installed. These packages provide the user-level KVM emulator and disk image manager on the host system.
- Install the qemu-kvm, qemu-img, libvirt, and virt-manager packages with the following command:
# yum install qemu-kvm qemu-img libvirt virt-manager
- Download a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Workstation binary DVD ISO image from the Red Hat Customer Portal. This image will be used to install the guest virtual machine's operating system.
NoteIf you encounter any problems during the installation process, see the Troubleshooting section of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Virtualization Host Configuration and Guest Installation Guide.