13.4. Resizing a Partition
Procedure 13.4. Resize a partition
- Before resizing a partition, boot into rescue mode (or unmount any partitions on the device and turn off any swap space on the device).
/dev/sdais the device on which to resize the partition:
# parted /dev/sda
- View the current partition table to determine the minor number of the partition to resize as well as the start and end points for the partition:
- To resize the partition, use the
resizecommand followed by the minor number for the partition, the starting place in megabytes, and the end place in megabytes.
Example 13.2. Resize a partitionFor example:
resize 3 1024 2048
WarningA partition cannot be made larger than the space available on the device
- After resizing the partition, use the
- After rebooting the system into normal mode, use the command
dfto make sure the partition was mounted and is recognized with the new size.