31.3. Installation Using VNC
Now that you have installed a VNC viewer application and selected a VNC mode for use in anaconda, you are ready to begin the installation.
31.3.1. Installation Example
The easiest way to perform an installation using VNC is to connect another computer directly to the network port on the target system. The laptop on a datacenter crash cart usually fills this role. If you are performing your installation this way, make sure you follow these steps:
- Connect the laptop or other workstation to the target system using a crossover cable. If you are using regular patch cables, make sure you connect the two systems using a small hub or switch. Most recent Ethernet interfaces will automatically detect if they need to be crossover or not, so it may be possible to connect the two systems directly using a regular patch cable.
- Configure the VNC viewer system to use a RFC 1918 address with no gateway. This private network connection will only be used for the purpose of installation. Configure the VNC viewer system to be 192.168.100.1/24. If that address is in use, just pick something else in the RFC 1918 address space that is available to you.
- Start the installation on the target system.
- Booting the installation DVD.If booting the installation DVD, make sure
vncis passed as a boot parameter. To add the
vncparameter, you will need a console attached to the target system that allows you to interact with the boot process. Enter the following at the prompt:
- Boot over the network.If the target system is configured with a static IP address, add the
vnccommand to the kickstart file. If the target system is using DHCP, add
vncconnect=HOSTto the boot arguments for the target system. HOST is the IP address or DNS host name of the VNC viewer system. Enter the following at the prompt:
- When prompted for the network configuration on the target system, assign it an available RFC 1918 address in the same network you used for the VNC viewer system. For example, 192.168.100.2/24.
NoteThis IP address is only used during installation. You will have an opportunity to configure the final network settings, if any, later in the installer.
- Once the installer indicates it is starting anaconda, you will be instructed to connect to the system using the VNC viewer. Connect to the viewer and follow the graphical installation mode instructions found in the product documentation.