20.2. Installing in an LPAR
When installing in a logical partition (LPAR), you can boot from:
- an FTP server
- the DVD drive of the HMC or SE
- a DASD or an FCP-attached SCSI drive prepared with the zipl boot loader
- an FCP-attached SCSI DVD drive
Perform these common steps first:
- Log in on the IBM System z Hardware Management Console (HMC) or the Support Element (SE) as a user with sufficient privileges to install a new operating system to an LPAR. The
SYSPROGuser is recommended.
- Select Images, then select the LPAR to which you wish to install. Use the arrows in the frame on the right side to navigate to the CPC Recovery menu.
- Double-click Operating System Messages to show the text console on which Linux boot messages will appear and potentially user input will be required. Refer to the chapter on booting Linux in Linux on System z Device Drivers, Features, and Commands on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and the Hardware Management Console Operations Guide, order number [SC28-6857], for details.
Continue with the procedure for your installation source.
20.2.1. Using an FTP Server
- Double-click Load from CD-ROM, DVD, or Server.
- In the dialog box that follows, select FTP Source, and enter the following information: Host Computer: Hostname or IP address of the FTP server you wish to install from (for example, ftp.redhat.com) User ID: Your user name on the FTP server (or anonymous) Password: Your password (use your email address if you are logging in as anonymous) Account (optional): Leave this field empty File location (optional): Directory on the FTP server holding Red Hat Enterprise Linux for System z (for example, /rhel/s390x/)
- Click Continue.
- In the dialog that follows, keep the default selection of
generic.insand click Continue.