Updated initscripts packages that fix several bugs and add two enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
The initscripts packages contain basic system scripts to boot the system, change runlevels, activate and deactivate most network interfaces, and shut down the system cleanly.
- Previously, certain network device drivers did not accept ethtool commands right after they appeared in the user-space. As a consequence, the current setting of the specified device driver was not applied and an error message was returned. This update adds the ETHTOOL_DELAY variable, which makes sure the ethtool utility waits for some time before it tries to apply the options settings, thus fixing the bug.
- When issuing a reboot or halt, the system sometimes killed the S01reboot process and never completed the reboot or shutdown. This update changes the regex for the sed utility to fix this bug, and the S01reboot process now completes successfully.
- Previously, the ipcalc utility handled netmask parameters incorrectly using the "-c" option. As a consequence, invalid CIDR was ignored and netmask in allowed format was not accepted. The updated "-c" option validates IP addresses for specified address families as expected, invalid CIDR is no longer ignored, and allowed formats of netmask are accepted.
- Due to a race condition, the "multicast_router" and "hash_max" BRIDGING_OPTS options failed to apply when creating the bridge. With this update, "multicast_router" and "hash_max" are applied after the bridge is up, and BRIDGING_OPTS options now work as intended.
- Prior to this update, the udev device manager called the hotplug script when a VLAN network was added. However, because the VLAN network has the same default hardware address as the default network adapter device, hotplug reverted the network adapter's IP configuration to the values in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory, and in some cases disconnected the network adapter. This update removes the triggering of the hotplug script for VLAN networks and, as a result, the network adapter now retains its IP address, and thus no longer fails.
In addition, this update adds the following
- Previously, the only way to set up VLAN ID was through the name of the new virtual device (vlan10 or eth0.10). With this update, the ID can be specified by the VID option in ifcfg file.
- The saved seed size in the /etc/rc.sysinit file has been increased from 512 bytes to 4096 bytes to comply with the updated crypto requirements.
- BZ#1082765, BZ#1099486
- With this update, the user can set PRIO and AGEING options for bridges in ifcfg files, which allow ageing to be set in ifcfg-* scripts.
Users of initscripts are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs and add these enhancements.