Updated papi packages that fix several bugs and add various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
PAPI (Performance Application Programming Interface) is a software library that provides access to the processor's performance-monitoring hardware. This allows developers to track performance-related events, such as cache misses, instructions retired, and clock cycles, to better understand the performance issues of the software.
The papi packages have been upgraded to upstream version 5.1.1, which provides a number of bug fixes and enhancements over the previous version, including support for Intel Xeon Processor E5-XXXX v2 architecture. (BZ#831751)
- Due to missing dependencies in the makefile, a parallel rebuild of the PAPI library failed. With this update, new rules have been added to the makefile to address this problem. As a result, PAPI can be successfully rebuild in the described scenario.
- Previously, when Hyper-threading was enabled on the Intel Xeon Processor E5-XXXX node, the PAPI libary could not configure the performance-monitoring hardware to count floating-point operations. This bug has been fixed and the aforementioned error no longer occurs.
- Due to an incorrect ldconfig setting in the papi.spec file, papi failed to be rebuilt from the srpm file when the process was executed by the root user. With this update, the underlying source code has been modified to fix this bug.
- Previously, the papi package failed to be built from the srpm file when a previous version of papi was installed. During the build, the new version of papi attempted to link to the libpfm.so file of the previously installed papi-devel package, which caused papi to terminate unexpectedly. With this update, a patch has been introduced to reorder the sequence of file linking during the build, so that the locally built files are used first. As a result, papi is built correctly with previous version installed.
- BZ#726798, BZ#831751, BZ#947622
- Support for the Intel Xeon Processor E5-XXXX and Intel Xeon Processor E5-XXXX architectures has been added to the PAPI library.
- Support for access to various energy and performance registers through PAPI has been added.
- With this update, several minor grammatical errors have been corrected in the PAPI interface.
- The papi-static subpackage has been added to provide the libraries for static linking.
- The papi-testsuite subpackage has been added to allow testing of papi.
All users of papi are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs and add these enhancements.