Updated cpupowerutils packages that fix several bugs and add one enhancement are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
The cpupowerutils packages provide a suite of tools to manage power states on appropriately enabled central processing units (CPU).
- Previously, some of the commands in the cpupowerutils packages were missing manual pages. Manual pages for the turbostat, x86_energy_perf_policy, cpufreq-bench, and cpufreq-bench_plot.sh commands have been added, thus fixing this bug.
- If a non-root user tried to run the cpufreq-bench utility, it terminated unexpectedly with a segmentation fault, and an ABRT notification appeared on the desktop. With this update, a warning message is displayed to the user instead, informing them that it is necessary to run the utility as root.
- Prior to this update, the x86_energy_perf_policy utility failed when it tried to open the /dev/cpu/*/msr/ directory. Consequently, a "permission denied" error message was returned. With this update, a new error message explains that the command needs root privileges and x86_energy_perf_policy cleanly exits.
- Previously, the interactive help for the x86_energy_perf_policy utility was short and confusing. The help text has been expanded to clarify the meaning of the command-line options.
- Due to the missing implementation for the "cpupower set -m" command, the error message is returned upon launching the command. Previously, this message wrongly implied that the sched-mc utility is not supported on the system. This update clarifies the message to clearly state that sched-mc is not yet implemented.
- Previously, running the "cpupower -v" or "cpupower --version" commands returned incorrect version information. This bug has been fixed and a selected component of cpupower now reports the correct version-release number.
- Intel turbostat v3.0 utility has been included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The utility is used to read current CPU core frequency and active C-states.
Users of cpupowerutils are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs and add this enhancement.