Language and Page Formatting Options
Updated gdm packages that fix four bugs and add two enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
The gdm packages provide the GNOME Display Manager (GDM), which implements the graphical login screen, shown shortly after boot up, log out, and when user-switching.
- Previously, the gdm_smartcard_extension_is_visible() function returned "TRUE" instead of the "ret" variable. Consequently, the smartcard login could not be disabled in the system-config-authentication window if the pcsd package was installed. With this update, gdm_smartcard_extension_is_visible() has been modified to return the correct value. As a result, the described error no longer occurs.
- When GDM was used to connect to a host via XDMCP (X Display Manager Control Protocol), another connection to a remote system using the "ssh -X" command resulted in failed authentication with the X server. Consequently, applications such as xterm could not be displayed on a remote system. This update provides a compatible MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key in the described scenario, thus fixing this incompatibility.
- Previously, X server audit messages were not included by default in the X server log. Now, those messages are unconditionally included in the log. Also, with this update, verbose messages are added to the X server log if debugging is enabled in the /etc/gdm/custom.conf file by setting "Enable=true" in the "debug" section.
- Previously, after booting the system, the following message occurred in the /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log file:
gdm-simple-greeter[PID]: Gtk-WARNING: gtkwidget.c:5460: widget not within a GtkWindowWith this update, this warning is no longer displayed.
- With this update, GDM has been modified to allow smartcard authentication when the visible user list is disabled.
- Previously, the GDM debugging logs were stored in the /var/log/messages file. With this update, a separate /var/log/gdm/daemon.log file has been established for these debugging logs.
All users of gdm are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which fix these bugs and add these enhancements.