Chapter 1. System requirements
Minimum system requirements
- 6GB free disk space.
- 2GB of RAM.
Recommended system requirements
- 6GB plus the required disk space recommended by the guest operating system per guest. For most operating systems more than 6GB of disk space is recommended.
- One processor core or thread for each virtualized CPU and one for the hypervisor.
- 2GB of RAM plus additional RAM for guests.
Para-virtualized guests require a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 installation tree available over the network using the
Full virtualization with the Xen Hypervisor requires:
- an Intel processor with the Intel VT extensions, or
- an AMD processor with the AMD-V extensions, or
- an Intel Itanium processor.
The KVM hypervisor requires:
- an Intel processor with the Intel VT and the Intel 64 extensions, or
- an AMD processor with the AMD-V and the AMD64 extensions.
The supported guest storage methods are:
- Files on local storage
- Physical disk partitions
- Locally connected physical LUNs
- LVM partitions
- iSCSI and Fibre Channel based LUNs
/var/lib/libvirt/images/directory by default. If you choose to use a different directory you must label the new directory according to SELinux policy. See Section 19.2, “SELinux and virtualization” for details.