Chapter 4. Preparing Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor installation media
4.1. Preparation instructions
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor 5channel must be available to your RHN account to download the RHEV Hypervisor images.
Procedure 4.1. Downloading and Installing the Package
- Download the latest rhev-hypervisor* package from Red Hat Network onto a Red Hat Enterprise Linux system to which you have root access. The list of Hypervisor packages is available at https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/channels/PackageList.do?cid=9462.
root, navigate to the location of the downloaded package. Install it to the system in preparation for creation of the boot media.
# yum localinstall rhev-hypervisor*.rpm
- Extract the
livecd-iso-to-diskcommands from the ISO. To do this:
- Change to the directory the Hypervisor ISO is installed in, while logged in as
# cd /usr/share/rhev-hypervisor
- Create a directory to which the ISO file will be mounted on a temporary basis.
# mkdir iso/
- Mount the ISO file as a
loopbackdevice. Use the directory created in the previous step as the mount target.
# mount -o loop rhev-hypervisor.iso iso/
- Copy the
livecd-iso-to-diskscripts to the current directory.
# cp iso/LiveOS/livecd-iso-to-* ./
- Unmount the ISO file and remove the temporary directory.
# umount iso/ # rmdir iso/
/usr/share/rhev-hypervisor/directory and named
4.1.1. BIOS settings and boot process troubleshooting
- 3.5 inch diskette
- CD-ROM or DVD device
- Local hard disk
4.1.2. Confirm hardware virtualization support
- Boot the RHEV Hypervisor from removable media. For example, a USB stick or CD-ROM.
- Once the Hypervisor boot prompt is displayed, enter the command:
: linux rescue
- Once the Hypervisor boots, verify your CPU contains the virtualization extensions with the following command:
# grep -E 'svm|vmx' /proc/cpuinfoOutput displays if the processor has the hardware virtualization extensions.
- Verify that the KVM modules load by default:
# lsmod | grep kvmIf the output includes
kvm_amdthen the kvm hardware virtualization modules are loaded and the system meets the requirements.