17.2. Establishing an Ethernet Connection
- Click the Devices tab.
- Click thebutton on the toolbar.
- Select Ethernet connection from the Device Type list, and click .
- If you have already added the network interface card to the hardware list, select it from the Ethernet card list. Otherwise, select Other Ethernet Card to add the hardware device.
NoteThe installation program detects supported Ethernet devices and prompts you to configure them. If you configured any Ethernet devices during the installation, they are displayed in the hardware list on the Hardware tab.
- If you selected Other Ethernet Card, the Select Ethernet Adapter window appears. Select the manufacturer and model of the Ethernet card. Select the device name. If this is the system's first Ethernet card, select eth0 as the device name; if this is the second Ethernet card, select eth1 (and so on). The Network Administration Tool also allows you to configure the resources for the NIC. Click to continue.
- In the Configure Network Settings window shown in Figure 17.2, “Ethernet Settings”, choose between DHCP and a static IP address. If the device receives a different IP address each time the network is started, do not specify a hostname.
- Do not specify a value for the Set MTU to or Set MRU to fields. MTU stands for Maximum Transmission Unit and MRU for Maximum Receive Unit; the network configuration tool will choose appropriate values for both of these parameters. Click to continue.
- Click Create Ethernet Device page.on the
Figure 17.2. Ethernet Settings
Figure 17.3. Ethernet Device