19.7. Additional Resources
19.7.1. Installed Documentation
bindinstalled on the system:
- This directory lists the most recent features.
- This directory contains the BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual in HTML and SGML formats, which details BIND resource requirements, how to configure different types of nameservers, how to perform load balancing, and other advanced topics. For most new users of BIND, this is the best place to start.
- This directory contains assorted technical documents that review issues related to DNS service and propose some methods to address them.
- This directory contains documents designed to address specific advanced issues. Users of BIND version 8 should consult the
migrationdocument for specific changes they must make when moving to BIND 9. The
optionsfile lists all of the options implemented in BIND 9 that are used in
- This directory provides every RFC document related to BIND.
- Administrative Applications
man rndc— Explains the different options available when using the
rndccommand to control a BIND nameserver.
- Server Applications
man named— Explores assorted arguments that can be used to control the BIND nameserver daemon.
man lwresd— Describes the purpose of and options available for the lightweight resolver daemon.
- Configuration Files
man named.conf— A comprehensive list of options available within the
man rndc.conf— A comprehensive list of options available within the
19.7.2. Useful Websites
- http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/ — The home page of the BIND project containing information about current releases as well as a PDF version of the BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual.
- http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html — Covers the use of BIND as a resolving, caching nameserver and the configuration of various zone files necessary to serve as the primary nameserver for a domain.